BEFORE POSTING READ! Guide: Connecting/Sharing on a network with Vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Jason, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

Out of the box Vista is locked down to prevent intrusions and virus's for the beginner user. More advanced users tend to want more flexibility between their computers and the network they reside on. If you are having trouble sharing printers or file sharing this is the place.

Here are some things to changeand check to get vista talking to other xp machines:
    1. <LI>Right Click Computer &gt;Change Settings&gt; Click Advanced Settings on the left And make sure your Vista machine is on the same workgroup as the XP machines.</LI><LI>

Navigate to Control Panel &gt; Network and Internet. You are going to need to change the networktype to Private from Public, you can tell which your computer is set to by lookingto the right To the right of the networkname and location type, click Customize. In the Set NetworkLocation dialog box, click Private, and then click Next.

Now Vistaknows your network is secure and will allow connections to other machines.</LI><LI>

In the same Network and Internet settings panel make sure to turn on File Sharing/Network Discovery/Public Folder Sharing/Printer Sharing. You may also turn on Password Protected Sharingwhich will force any pc trying to connect to login with one of the administrator credentials on the Vista machine.</LI>

Reboot and give it a try! If you still cannot connect from the XP machine. Make sure the XP machine is on the same work group using the similiar method listed above, and Turn off ANY firewall Microsoft or third party, on bothXP and Vista . Just remember to re-enable firewalls afterwards.

[​IMG]

Jason, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

whitesaint

I have a Windows 2000 PC at work, which has shared folders on which other computers on the network can access. However, I've tried this and can't get Vista so see any other computers on the network. Anybody have any suggestions? Please help!

whitesaint, Apr 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

drmom5

I had internet but not intranet with a mixture of OSes on the system. I tried all the tricks with disabling firewall, enabling all kinds of sharing, disabling IP6. What worked was going into LAN properties and installing the old heirarchy starting with Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printsharing for same, and both link-layer Topology protocols. Reboot and viola, there's my whole network. Now, it's just a matter of fine tuning.

(still can't access network printers on XP and Win98SE machines.)

Dr.Mom in PA.

drmom5, May 14, 2007
  4. Jason

streetvandals41

<P align=left>why do i have problem with mybrowser when iam connected to the internet? for instance i connected my laptop using wireless and tried to surf the net but it says no connectivity. but ican onlinewith MSN. is this vista gltches or something?can someone help?

streetvandals41, Apr 14, 2008
  5. Jason

WAW8

streetvandals41:

This is the third post I've counted this morning about the same thing. Quit multi-posting! And, please don't tack questions on to the pinned posts.

You also posted this in the News forum -- which I removed because this is NOT news about Vista.

Check the other remaining post for followons.

WAW8, Apr 15, 2008
  6. Jason

chips

vista is an advance and interesting window and its user feel joyful because it is colourful and amazing pictures..........also prevent from viruses

chips, Jul 8, 2009
  7. Jason

BlueCat

Hi,

I have Vista Business trying to access a share on a XP SP3 machine. Trouble is, I can only transfer files smaller than 100KB in size, when I issue a copy command from the Vista machine. Transfer stops with a message stating that the share is not available. If I click SKIP, all files smaller than about 100KB are copied...

I Tried:

-MS support,

-Google revealed (and Tried):

-disable remote differential compression

-Change network from public to private

-Firewalls are off

-change the "<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US" lang=EN-US>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa to 0"</SPAN>

-Make all workgroups the same

-Assigned full file permission control to everyone on the XP machine.

-Ensure hidden and read only attributes are off.

-ping -t xx.xx.xx.xx in both directions

-replaced switch and cabling with an X-over cable

-force duplex settings to 100/full &amp; half and 10/full &amp; half

Am really out of ideas on a fix for this now. Please assist.

Rgs,

BC

BlueCat, Aug 20, 2009
  8. Jason

WAW8

I guess you didn't bother to read an earlier post on this thread where I asked folks to NOT tag their posts onto pinned threads ...

Please repost this, starting your own thread.

WAW8, Aug 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question