Basic to Premium Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by PiperK1980, Oct 30, 2007.

1. PiperK1980

PiperK1980

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My computer came with Home Basic. Less than a month later I purchased Home Premium upgrade online. Everything was great! My DVD burner soon stopped reading discs and called HP about it. They had me do a system recovery so it reset my computer back to factory settings meaning I was back to Basic. That didn't work for my burner so I sent it to them.Right aftergetting it back and still in factory settings I tried to re-upgrade using my Anytime Upgrade disc and when it get to "Complete Installation" it says that some system files could not be upgraded. So now it seems I'm out the 79 bucks I paid unless someone knows what's going on. And you can't upgrade in safe mode. Tried it.

PiperK1980, Oct 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. PiperK1980

WAW8

You're probably not going to like my answer ... but ... I had an HP with problems a while back, and nothing I did would get it back into a working state. Created the recovery CDs, and installed them. Ordered the HP CDs from them, installed them. Wiped the drive, tried on install an OEM version. Nothing worked.

Since it was still under warranty, I sent it back to them. They replaced some faulty hardware and reinstalled the OS from scratch. After I got it back, it worked fine -- and has ever since.

So, you could wipe the drive and try another reinstall, which if the recovery CDs are bad, won't work, either. Or you could contact HP about having them restore it.

WAW8, Oct 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question