Bad Driver. Vista Disabled It. How can I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by doni49, Jan 8, 2008.

1. doni49

doni49

I mistakenly installed a bad driver. Now every time Vista boots up, it tells me that the driver is incompatible and has been disabled. Vista is only providing me with an option to find out if Microsoft has an updated driver. How can I delete it?

I checked device manager and don't see it there.

TIA!

doni49, Jan 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. doni49

WAW8

Every device manager you install is copied into the driver store. What you will need to do is locate the actual device "package" you need to remove and delete it from the driver store.

To locate the device "package", open an elevated command prompt window (enter"cmd" in the start area, then press ctrl-shift-enter) and enter "pnputil.exe -e". This will provide a list of all the third-party drivers installed.

Search the list for the driver version you want removed. It will be oem##.inf. (where ## is the actual two-digit number of the inf file)

To remove that driver, using the same elevated command window, enter "pnputil.exe -d oem##.inf" to be safe, find all the driver files and remove them all.

Then, you need to clean out the INF directory:

1) open %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log in Wordpad

2) search for "<string identifying the driver>, this will be found on a DevDesc line

3) look a few lines up for the "inf:" line. It will say Openeded INF: and at the end of the line, you will see the actual name of the inf file.

4) remove that file from the INF directory.

5) look for ServiceBinary=c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS containing a reference to the same inf file. That's the driver file to delete.

6) continue this process, search for all the inf sequences and DRIVERS references, removing the files from the INF and DRIVERS directories as needed.

Also, be sure to remove the drivers from Device Manager before you reboot.

WAW8, Jan 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question