Backup Shadow Copy Error 0x800423F3

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by jengregg, Nov 9, 2008.

1. jengregg

jengregg

I have Vista Home Premium on my Dell 1530 Inspiron. Until this week, the backup system worked pretty well (to a Trekstor external hard drive)... this week it won't complete the shadow copy... an error message pops up with Error 0x800423F3, sayingit will possibly work if Itry again... but every time I try I get the same error. Can anyone help PLEASE!!!

Thanx, jengregg

jengregg, Nov 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. jengregg

MafiaLord91

This link should help you fix the problem.

MafiaLord91, Nov 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. jengregg

jengregg

Thanks Paul, I tried the following instructions, I didn't get past 1).Ididn't get into safe modewhen I pressed F8... I tried F2 and F12, but that didn't work either. I don't know how to get into safe mode... I'm not extremely computer literate, which is obvious I guess. Can you tell me if these instructions are appropriate for Vista, or different?

<SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_lblFullMessage>I'll help explain the points more thoroughly:

1) Start the computer and press f8 on boot up and select'Safe Mode without networking'.
    2) In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) andon the top search result right click the program and choose 'run as administrator'
    3) Type "net stop winmgmt" without quotes and press enter to make certain the WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service is not running.
    4) In the start menu click 'computer' on the right hand side. Go to the windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like OLDRepository (right click and choose 'Rename Folder'.
    5) Reboot and restart as normal.
    6) In the start menu type 'cmd' (without quotes) and at the top right click the program and choose 'run as administrator'
    7) Type 'net stop winmgmt' (without quotes) and press enter to stop the wmi service.
    8) Type 'winmgmt /resetRepository' (without quotes)and restart the system.
    </SPAN>

jengregg, Nov 10, 2008
  4. jengregg

jengregg

OK Paul, I tried again and the F8 key worked. I got into safe mode and followed the directions... when I rebooted after making the adjustments, I followed the next set of directions... neither 7) or 8) worked... they failed. I am attaching the screen so you can see what happened (I uploaded itusing "attachments" below, hope that's right. NOW what do I do? I've changed some files in 1) thru 6), but 7 &amp; 8 didn't work. Please let me know what to do about this Backup problem!!! Thanks, jengregg

jengregg, Nov 11, 2008
  5. jengregg

jengregg

Here I am again... I rebooted after getting failed responses to 7) and 8) and then ran a Windows backup... this time it didn't stop during shadow copy, it actually started the backup... BUT, then the backup failed and I got an error:

Data error - cyclic redundancy check 0x80070017.

What is going on? Is it the Windows backup program? I don't understand it because I've been using it for almost a year, and have had no problems until now.

Would really appreciate some help...

Thanks, jengregg

jengregg, Nov 11, 2008
  6. jengregg

WAW8

Here's a link on doing a system file check:

[url]http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147786 [/url]

Link is for XP, but it applies equally well in Vista.

Don't know if this will fix it, but it's worth a shot.

If this doesn't do it, you may have to resort to a complete reinstallation.

WAW8, Nov 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question