Backup drive full

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Sue Scotland, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Sue Scotland

Sue Scotland

My Acer Aspire shows 3 drives C, D and G

C 83.8gb used 27.9gb

D 41.6gb used 41.2gb

G 16.7gb used 2.58gb

D was empty when I first got the PC so I decided to use it as the drive for 'backup'. It seems that each time I do a backup it just copies everything again and has now filled up the drive. The total of used space on C & G only amounts to 20.48gb so can someone explain to me in simple terms why I have a backup of 41.2gb.

I have now made DVD copies of My Docs, photos, music etc in case something is going seriously wrong.

I did try to delete D and start again but it tells me "access is denied".

I really would be gratefull for some advice.

Thanks

Sue

Sue Scotland, Apr 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Sue Scotland

Titch

What are you using to create the back ups?

Titch, Apr 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Sue Scotland

Sue Scotland

Hi and thanks for replying.

I'm using the Vista Premium control panel / backup restore centre /backup files (D drive). I have chosen the options to backup pictures,music, videos, email, documents, compressed files, additional files. Then I click on 'back up now'.

That is all I'm doing, just following the screen prompts. What will happen next time I don't know, it's showing that I have only 376 mb free on D drive.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed

Sue

Sue Scotland, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Sue Scotland

cyclic

You just need to delete all but the latest backup to free space.

The best back up tools to use are not the one that come with Windows but apps like Acronis true image which once you make a complete backup you can then set that future backups are only done for changed or added files so all but the first takes up very little space, either that or use a free 'file splitter' (google) and chop the backup you just did into DVD size chunks, burn them then free up the space again.

cyclic, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Sue Scotland

Titch

My understanding of the backup utility that comes with Vista Home Premium is that it always backs up the entire of C Drive(or System Drive) and then any other files/folders on other drives as required, which makes for very large bakup files.

You have backed up everything you want to keep on to DVD. What I would suggest is, start the computer in safe mode(on bootscreen press F8 a few times) and delete the back up files from D. Then have a little look around for a back up utility, Acronis is great but there are others and hereare a few free ones I very quickly looked up for you. I cannot vouch for any of these, as I have not used them, but they should all offer the ability to back up only the files you want, without including your C Drive.

note: you will want to look for the option to keep/maintain your secuity/ownership policies.

Titch, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Sue Scotland

WAW8

I don't believe that is the case with Home Premium. Ultimate and Business provide two forms of backup: Full Image and File. I believe that Home Premium only does File backups. However, if you don't limit the file types, then you might end up backing up the entire partition anyway.

The Full Image does differential backups; don't know if the File backup does them.

WAW8, Apr 10, 2007
  7. Sue Scotland

MafiaLord91

Backups are a pain unless you are someone who ends up destroying the OS with viruses or something frequently. Unless the data is mission critical (for a business or important information) you really don't need to do backups.

MafiaLord91, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question