Avast conflict

Discussion in 'Security' started by rohandel, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rohandel

rohandel

I am using a computer that someone else in my position had before me. I am not quite sure what they did with the virus on this computer. I have been having problems for a while, and I think it may be due to the virus software. Since I got the computer, on startup, it has been saying I have 1 day left to renew Avast. Also, I have been having a problem with Windows Update, and when I go there in the Control Panel, just a few parts of Windows Updates displays, with a yellow exclamation point that I think is some type of virus software (if I remember correctly).

Anyway, first of all, I uninstalled Avast. At least, it doesn't show anymore in my Uninstall folder of programs. I then installed AVG. When AVG downloads, it comes to a point where it says there is potentially conflicting software, and it says Avast is that software, then it directs me to Uninstall to remove it, BUT Avast is not there!! I can install AVG without selecting to uninstall Avast, but I am not sure if this will solve the problem.

Thanks.

rohandel, Oct 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. rohandel

WAW8

The best source of uninstallers is the supplier of the application that won't uninstall.

As an alternative, you could download the trial of Avast, install it, and then cleanly uninstall it. That's most likely to remove any traces of it.

I've used CCCleaner, and while I've not had any problems with it, others have. So, you could use it but there's always a risk of registry corruption when you use any registry cleaner.

WAW8, Oct 18, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question