Automatically return to "Switch User" on hibernate

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Condor, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Condor

Condor

Greetings everyone, I just registered on these forums and this is my first post! I have done a fair amount of searches and haven't been able to find any threads related to my question....so here goes:

My fiance and I share a laptop, and we each have our own user accounts. We always HIBERNATE the laptop when we are done using it, directly from being logged in to our own account. This gets annoying when I bring back the laptop from hibernation and I am looking at HER account login, and visa-versa.

What I would like to find is a way to force the SWITCH USER action when the HIBERNATION command is issued. This would hopefully cause the account selection screen to be shown when the laptop is brought back from hibernation, saving either one of us time. All we'd have to do is click on our account and enter the password!

About my Laptop:
    HP Pavilion dv6700t
    Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium SP2

Thanks!

Condor, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Condor

WAW8

Since hibernation, by definition, saves off the state of the machine before it goes to sleep, in order to do what you want, you would require TWO hibernation files -- one of each user. Since Windows only supports ONE hibernation file, I don't believe there is any way to do what you want with hibernation.

You MIGHT be able to do what you want with sleep, since it does NOT save off the state, but that is probably not going to get you what you want because you will need to save your work before putting the machine to sleep.

The link below is to the MS explanation of the differences between sleep, hibernation, and hybrid sleep:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

WAW8, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Condor

clifford_cooley

Do you have a hibernate option from the login screen?
    I know it would be an extra step before hibernating the machine, but might give the results you are looking for when resuming.

clifford_cooley, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question