automatic factory reset

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cjam, Jan 16, 2008.

1. cjam

cjam

Hi,

We've bought an HP 2710p tablet and built up the pre-installed Vista Business OS to work on our network.

e.g. putting domain, installing bespoke software, taking the pre-installed crap off, etc.

A user had it and was working fine for a few weeks and his story was that it was running low on battery, so he plugged it in, then went

away for a bit. He comes back and finds the thing re-installing itself to factory settings!

I found that hard to believe, but upon taking re-possession of it, that's exactly what's it done - seemingly no questions asked!

A crash is one thing, but a complete automatic factory recover! Have to say we're not best pleased.

Why would it do that and how do i stop if from doing anything on its own terms again?

TIA

cjam

cjam, Jan 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. cjam

WAW8

I've been running Vista business on a tablet PC for over a year and have seen nothing even approaching this.

By resetting itself, do you mean just the profile settings? Or do you mean in the state the table was when you first powered it up -- as in uninstalling any applications or features you added after that?

I'm guessing here, but some ways this COULD have happened is as follows:

1) Since Business has the full system imaging/restore option, that was used -- even though the person doesn't admit it. In other words, a full image was taken right after initial boot up and then (maybe accidentally?), the full restore function was run to restore that image. Maybe the person messed something up, got really nervous about what they did, and ran restore hoping to "fix" the machine?

2) If the machine is connected through a domain to a company network, maybe an IT "support" person used remote login to connect to the machine and reimaged it remotely?

3) If the user has admin rights, they could have created another account and deleted the original account. That would have the effect of wiping out all the profile settings associated with the original account.

There are probably more possible scenarios, but I simply don't believe that a machine will reset itself automatically. I've seen problems with forced autorebooting, but that's not the same as resetting. Given the massive number of posts we get about people screwing up their systems and NOT having a way to do a factory reset, having a machind do it automatically would be a feature they would welcome!

WAW8, Jan 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. cjam

cjam

Hi, this is strange, as it did do exactly that - it went back to a complete factory state! as if brand new, all the software that came plastered on up front, but of course none of ours as it flattened itself!

Worrying!

cjam, Jan 16, 2008
  4. cjam

WAW8

Did the tablet PC come preloaded with Vista? Or did you install Visa yourself? And, if the latter, was it a clean install or an upgrade over XP?

WAW8, Jan 16, 2008
  5. cjam

Jason

I suggest you re-install it, and put some group policy on that employee's PC so he can't mess with settings. This will also prevent Vista from doing anything wack but I doubt it did on its own.

Jason, Jan 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question