Auto Play no longer works

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by vegaspat, Sep 6, 2011.

1. vegaspat

vegaspat

I think I've tried just about everything but can NOT get autoplay to open when I insert a CD or connect a flash drive.

I didn't even realize it wasn't working until recently. The only time autoplay comes up is when I connect my iPhone. iTunes had taken over my CD drive a while back and I was able to get support for a change I had to make in the Registry.

Thinking iTunes may have done something else, I went into msconfig and unchecked iTunes so that it didn't start up when the PC was rebooted. That didn't help either.

No use doing a System Restore since I don't know how long this has been going on.

I've Googled the Internet, checked the Microsoft site and basically found nothing that has helped.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

vegaspat, Sep 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. vegaspat

WAW8

WAW8, Sep 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. vegaspat

vegaspat

Yes, I tried that before but just out of frustration I tried again. It did nothing.

I even found one suggestion about editing the Registry but basically was afraid of causing more chaos so backed out.

A while back I found out with a little help that iTunes had taken over my CD drive. I lost my CD drive and all normal solutions didn't work. Then I was pointed to the Registry where iTunes had indeed taken over. Once I fixed that and re-booted I had my drive back.

I'm just wondering if iTunes has created another issue.

When I plug my iPhone in, Auto Play starts up or at least is did. Better try that again.

Right now I've disable iTunes from the Startup thinking that would be the problem. NOT!!

Can't believe once again that I'm the only one with this issue that doesn't seem to be solvable.

I do appreciate your response and welcome any other ideas.

vegaspat, Sep 8, 2011
  4. vegaspat

clifford_cooley

I'm not sure if this issue is the same as the one you are having.

I had this problem once and found it was a DVD writer application that had disabled the autoplay feature while it was running. The application was supposed to return the autoplay to normal when exited. However something happened and autoplay was not returned back to normal until the application was run and exited again.

clifford_cooley, Sep 8, 2011
  5. vegaspat

vegaspat

I haven't done any DVD burning for a long time, but just checked the setting on my program and didn't see anything suspicious.

But, I just checked my iPhone again and when I plugged it in Auto Play popped up.

Inserted a Audio CD and Auto Play did not pop up. Checked the settings again and made sure Audio CD's started up in Windows Media Player. That did nothing.

I opened iTunes and check every setting there and could see nothing there either.

I suppose this is one of those things I will have to learn to live with.

Does anyone here know the specific key in the Registry that might offer a clue?

Thanks.

vegaspat, Sep 8, 2011
  6. vegaspat

clifford_cooley

Proceed with caution, registry changes could be hazardous!

check the registry:

clifford_cooley, Sep 8, 2011
  7. vegaspat

vegaspat

Cliff,

I've printed off your instructions and already knowing how I can wreck my system I will tackle this on the weekend when there is no interference.

For years I backed up the Registry but found out that it was a totally useless step. When I went to Restore it one time I received some message that it wasn't going to happen. It was a long time ago so not sure exactly why I was trying to do it.

I think you can export ONE key and then import that key just fine and did that once.

Tried to find out what the purpose was in backing up the Registry if it wasn't going to restore
    properly but never got a good explanation.

I'll let you know the results of the Registry fix.

Thanks.

vegaspat, Sep 9, 2011
  8. vegaspat

vegaspat

Cliff,

I followed your instructions and when I got to STEP 11 I did not have either of those numbers. 0xb5 or 255.

I've attempted to attach a copy of what I have on my PC.

If you can't view the attachment let me know and I will try to just type it in.

Attached Files:

vegaspat, Sep 11, 2011
  9. vegaspat

clifford_cooley

Just so you know:
    • the Hex value of "FF" is a Decimal value of 255.
    • the Hex value of "B5" is a Decimal value of 181.
    • the Hex value of "5B" is a Decimal value of 91.

Judging from step 11 and your screen shot, I would say it appears autorun is turned off.

According to step 12, to enable AutoRun do one of the following:
    • using Hex set the value to "5B"
    • using Decimal set the value to 91

clifford_cooley, Sep 11, 2011
  10. vegaspat

vegaspat

Cliff,

I know I'm the dumbest thing around, but just don't understand EXACTLY what you mean.

Judging from step 11 and your screen shot, I would say it appears autorun is turned off.
    According to step 12, to enable AutoRun do one of the following:
    * using Hex set the value to "5B"
    * using Decimal set the value to 91**

Guess I don't understand "HEX" and what to change since I don't see HEX or how to do the Decimal set.

So sorry to be such a pest but I am always leery about messing with the Registry.

In any event I should Export that key. Right? In case I mess up.

vegaspat, Sep 11, 2011
  11. vegaspat

clifford_cooley

I should have looked closer to your screenshot. It appears your data type for that value is in Binary. For you to edit the key as follows it would need to be DWORD.

As it is, I'm not sure what to tell you as I'm not sure if there would be repercussions in changing the data type from Binary to DWORD.
    ----------------------------------------
    If you click on the value to edit a DWORD, there should be an option to enter a new value either as a Hex value or Decimal value.

In Decimal each digit represents 10 possible variations.
    In Hex each digit represents 16 possible variations.

Hex digits are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F

In Hex "0F" actually means 15 in Dec.
    In Hex "10" actually means 16 in Dec.
    In Hex "1F" actually means 31 in Dec.
    In Hex "20" actually means 32 in Dec.
    In Hex "2F" actually means 47 in Dec.
    In Hex "30" actually means 48 in Dec.
    and so on

clifford_cooley, Sep 11, 2011
  12. vegaspat

vegaspat

Well, it appears that I will have to learn to live without AutoRun. I really wonder how this stuff happens.

I do appreciate all the time you spent on this.

I still think that iiTunes had something to do with it because I haven't been installing new software for a very long time.

If you ever think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks again.

vegaspat, Sep 11, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question