audio CD wont play

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by toomse, Oct 8, 2007.

1. toomse

toomse

Hi peeps - newbie here
    Have a new Pentium Dual Core PC with Windows Vista. For one week I was able to rip an audio CD to MP3 with Windows Media Player. Mysteriously now when I insert an audio CD nothing happens (auto play is ok/defaulted to Win Media Player). If I browse in Internet Explorer and click on D drive the CD ejects. The same happens when I open Win Media Player and browse to D drive - again the disc ejects. I have no other audio or DVD software (Roxio etc). I can insert a DVD disc and it auto plays ok, problem is only with audio discs.
    Any help or suggestion would be most appreciated.

toomse, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. toomse

Jason

Jason, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. toomse

toomse

The link you prvided is for XP. Apparently Media PLayer cannot be completely removed as it's too tied in withwindows.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I installed Yahoo Music Jukebox and the same thing happens - if I browse and click on D drive the CD ejects!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">My CD Rom drive is listed in System Information as: PIONERR DVD-RW DVR-112D ATA device <o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Device working properly / optimum driver in use<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">confused now if this is <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Vista</st1:place> related or a problem with the CD Rom drive<o:p></o:p>

toomse, Oct 9, 2007
  4. toomse

WAW8

There's a bunch of things you can do to troubleshoot autoplay problems -- but listing them all here in detail would fill pages and pages. Instead, suggest you do the following:

1) Click Start --> Help and Support

2) Type in "autoplay" (without the quotes)

3) Click on items #2 (Troublshoot autoplay problems) and #3 (Change Autoplay settings)

Those will give you a long list of things you can try.

Also, on my Vista box, Autoplay has two different default selections for WMP -- play audio CD and rip audio CD. Also, since a DVD is a different format than audio CD, the audio CD settings will be ignored when you insert a DVD.

WAW8, Oct 10, 2007
  5. toomse

toomse

1st thing I tried was to check autoplay options and their all deff ok

toomse, Oct 11, 2007
  6. toomse

cyclic

Try disabling autorun completely............does anyone still use it? and then open whichever media player you choose, windows media player is probably the worst choice if you have any other use that, in either event open the file/play/menu and browse to the DVD drive and click the first track file.

I ask about using autorun because it is inherently bad with apps changing the defaults to their own preferences all the time, some even have restore default scripts so when you change the autorun menu to use a specific app to open something the program it was associated with swaps it back to itself the next time it's run, it's a lot less hassle to disable it and open things from the disk directly, which is in any event usually a lot faster than waiting for autorun to kick in, autorun polls the drives in turn and can take up to 4 seconds to poll the drive you just put a disk in.

cyclic, Oct 11, 2007
  7. toomse

Jason

My bad about the xp link.

Jason, Oct 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question