Asus wireless no go

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Snapafun, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Snapafun

Snapafun

Hi folks, but for this I'm enjoying Vista

Got myself a Asus A6Km with a Broadcom wireless onboard card [ BCM4318 ] and Vista doesn't see it so cannot connect to my home network with Vista Ultimate just yet.

Asus hasn't got any drivers yet ( nor did nVidia for the graphics card but for that I found laptopvideo2go.com that got that working ) and I'm hoping someone here has got their's working 'cause I enjoy doing my computer thing out in the lounge in a family enviroment.

Any hints or suggestions anyone?

Snapafun, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Snapafun

Antrax

Hi,

You need the correct drivers for the wireless device unfortunatley. Maybe you could pick up a compatible wireless usb receiver to use in the meantime? I know they dont cost much over here in the UK.

Antrax, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Snapafun

Snapafun

Thanks for that - My update is that your suggestion appears to be the only way forward for now and this one time I won't mind an extra gadget with multi-function hanging around. So will be picking up a usb multi dock tomorrow.

Snapafun, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Snapafun

Snapafun

Here is a somewhat strange update.

I brought a Netgear WG111v2 USB adapter and after downloading the Vista driver from Netgear using my dual boot option ( PCLOS ) I was able to install it as the driver when prompted by Vista upon booting it and then connecting the adaptor.

The strange part ?

Upon connecting to the internet and updating Vista ( it did so behind the scenes and took about 30 mins ) I was instructed to reboot and did so only to realise that the adaptor was no longer accepted ( though still seen ) but that a Microsoft driver was able to recognize the Broadcom embedded adaptor ( BCM4318 ) and so connect to the router/modem BUT only in public use with SSID enabled. Even though I needed to reboot again later, I found that changing SSID to disabled had Vista NOT able to connect. Upon re-enabling SSID, Vista was alive on the web again. ( Yes I know about naming my connections and the wizard doesn't miss that point anyway )

The problem ........ how do I get Vista to find a router that is not broadcasting its SSID ???

Snapafun, Feb 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question