Any Windows Media Centre Experts?

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by RobWonder, Jul 22, 2007.

1. RobWonder

RobWonder

After setting up Windows Media Centre in Vista I changed from an aerial input to a cable one. I should be able to change this on the Setup butcan't get the 'Cable, Satellite & Antenna' selection screen to appear any more as a result I can't get any stations

The setup seems to bypass this option now

I have tried re-installing Vista - No good

I have tried uninstalling my TV card, then re-installing it - no good

There surely must be a way in which we can get this option to appear again???

Any help is VERY much appreciated

RobWonder, Jul 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. RobWonder

kingofnexus

Whats your TV card and how is the cable connected to the computer?

kingofnexus, Jul 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. RobWonder

RobWonder

Thanks for replying

The TV card came pre-installed on my MESH PC. It's a KWorld DVBT-210 Analogue + Digital PCI TV Card, and has a coaxial cable feeding into it. The coax comes straight from my cable tv box so only has one signal at any one time.

Windows Media Centre attempts to find TV stations based on the UK region as I specified. There is no option to tell Media Centre that it is now a cable input rather than an aerial input so finds no stations

Initially there was the option to specify cable or aerial input but I can not obtain that option again

Cheers

RobWonder, Jul 22, 2007
  4. RobWonder

kingofnexus

Dont have much time atm, but I had a quick look by trying to set up my TV signal again, and just as you said, unlike before where at asked me which source it wants, it automatically says that 'the following setting has been saved: TV Antenna'.

Will look around the net see if anything may be of use to you a bit later, I cant think of anything to try.

kingofnexus, Jul 22, 2007
  5. RobWonder

RobWonder

Great thanks

RobWonder, Jul 23, 2007
  6. RobWonder

cyclic

According to the online help files you should be able to just setup another input rather than change the existing one,<P class=para>On the <SPAN class=ui>start</SPAN> screen, scroll to <SPAN class=ui>Tasks</SPAN>, click <SPAN class=ui>settings</SPAN>, click <SPAN class=ui>TV</SPAN>, and then click <SPAN class=ui>Set Up TV Signal</SPAN>. To quote exactly, and you should be able to set multiple sources by doing this (assuming you have sufficient inputs to the card(s)). I cannot try this so it's only a theoretical response but it should work according to the WMC help files.<P class=para>

cyclic, Jul 23, 2007
  7. RobWonder

RobWonder

Thanks for the response but as I have just the one input I can't set up multiple inputs - I don't get that option anywhere. It really does look like now that I have chosen to have 'aerial' as my input source, I can't ever change it????

RobWonder, Jul 23, 2007
  8. RobWonder

kingofnexus

It bypasses the screen once it had been selected before.

To RobWonder I googled your problem, and found nothing that can help, well nothing which you have already tried (saw your post on vista magazine forums)

You did try what lord-abott said 'TV/Movies scroll down to Shutdown scroll left to Settings then select General then windows Media Center Setup then Run Setup again'

I cant think of anything else that can help. I have posted your problem on my TV card's manufacturers forum, so check back in a day or two and i'll post if anything comes back from it or not.

kingofnexus, Jul 23, 2007
  9. RobWonder

RobWonder

Yeah thanks, Ive tried a few forums but to no avail - I've still got high hopes for this one though as at least I have people working on it from here!

Did microsoft overlook this???

My thinking is that there is somewhere that is holding information regarding my settings that I could delete or change - but I don't know enough about registry or Media Centre to even think about looking; I'm hoping some of you guys on here might though

Really appreciate your help, thanks

RobWonder, Jul 23, 2007
  10. RobWonder

kingofnexus

I'm no registry expert, but maybe some setting in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Media Center/Settings/TVConfig

will help. But what it is I have no idea. Dunno if this post helps or not.

kingofnexus, Jul 23, 2007
  11. RobWonder

Jason

If you want to try and figure out the registry value which is used. Download: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/regmon.mspx

And run that app(make sure to set the settings to it only monitors for your specific application, otherwise you'll get tons of crap), then go through your TV config wizard and see what registry values to reads/sets. Now obviously since it doesnt give you the option to change your input, you arn't going to see the exact input registry key but at leaste you should get a general area to look in the registry.

Hope this helps.

Jason, Jul 23, 2007
  12. RobWonder

RobWonder

That does look good, I don't know what to change though - can anybody help?

Thanks

[​IMG]

RobWonder, Jul 23, 2007
  13. RobWonder

AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare, Jul 23, 2007
  14. RobWonder

RobWonder

Thanks for that, doesn't look like it can help me with my problem but interesting stuff all the same, and I might get some help from some of the guys who have contributed to it. I'm not giving up yet!

RobWonder, Jul 23, 2007
  15. RobWonder

kingofnexus

Got no help from the other forum unfortunately. Dont know what else to try other than making sure latest driver is installed for your card. Also make sure the only input into the card is from the cable box and that its on and sending out a signal to it.

kingofnexus, Jul 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question