antivirus 2008

Discussion in 'Security' started by Grant, May 13, 2008.

1. Grant

Grant

i keep getting windows logoed antivirus 2008 saying ive got 40+ infections-viruses trojans etc , and i should eliminate them by se nding 50$ --but when i check my norton i have no infections --its beckoming a pain--anyone else getting this and-or how can i stop it?

Grant, May 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Grant

WAW8

Debates about which AV vendor's tools are the best continue to rage on, but any of the well-known favorites (Norton, ESET NOD32, Kaspersky) should do a decent job.

There's always the possibility that any AV tool will miss a virus or two, but 40+? No way.

This is most probably a scam. MS provides the AV tools Defender and One Care. Are you running either of those, and if so, is either of those complaining?

WAW8, May 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Grant

Grant

ta m8--checked defender -no probs ----but how do i stop av2008 keep showing all the time?

Grant, May 13, 2008
  4. Grant

WAW8

Sorry, didn't pick up the details in your first post in that, you are running Norton AV2008, right?

Norton won't do a full scan unless you tell it to. It only monitors changes to your system after the scan is done. So, you need to do another full scan to have it detect and quarantine all the malware it can find.

As to the $50, does this mean that Norton has expired and Symantec is bugging you about renewing it? I thought you were referring to one of the many "offered" AV products that claim your system is infected out the ying-yang and then offer to clean it --for a price.

If your Norton has expired, your only options are to renew it or replace it. Any other commercial AV product is going to cost around the same amount.

WAW8, May 13, 2008
  5. Grant

Grant

hmmmm confused.com lol--- im running norton butANTIVIRUS 2008 keeps telling me im infected but i check my norton and it tells me im ok----how can i stop getting the apparent scam message from ANTIVIRUS 2008?

Grant, May 13, 2008
  6. Grant

MafiaLord91

Is it like XP Antivirus 2008? Can you access the task manager or do you get a message saying that the task manager has been disabled? I have seen XP Antivirus 2008 and I recommend Avast anti-virus. Install and run the boot scan. By the way I believe this thing is a virus.

MafiaLord91, May 13, 2008
  7. Grant

Grant

must have been a scam so watch out for it---its now dissapeared

Grant, May 19, 2008
  8. Grant

Jason

That right there is a trojan. It will popup messages which look like they are from windows and try to get you to pay to download this "software" to remove the so called infections. In reality you are only infected once, by the software itself. I would suggest a re-install of Vista. It most likely is hiding from your a/v you can try and run spybot s&d but it still may not find it.

Jason, May 21, 2008
  9. Grant

sonicsoundchaser

I myself just recently eliminated this problem. I know exactly what the original poster is going through. I do have Windows Live Care & actually wondered at first why it did not detect what Vista Anti-Virus was. Reason being it is a FAKE software that hides itself very well. Here's an easy solution to try and resolve this pest :

1) Go to your Start menu.

2) Select 'Run'

3) Type in taskmgr (task manager)

4) Hit OK

5) Now select Processes and you should see all the files running on your computer. If you select Image Name, it will list these processes in Alphabetical order.

6) Vista Anti-Virus is what you are wanting to delete (Like I just did) so click on vav.exe and hit End Process! A box will show up saying are you sure that you want to do this and select OK.

- That should eliminate this pest who watches where you go on the internet. At least it worked for me. Hope this helps. Check out my Music page on rateyourmusic.com :

http://rateyourmusic.com/~sonicsoundchaser

:)

sonicsoundchaser, Jun 23, 2008
  10. Grant

Rino3444

AntiVirus XP 2008 and that Trogan:Win32/Vundo.genwere twotough bastard Windows Defender just couldn't stand a chanceagainst this wild beast but Spyware Doctor 6.0.0.362, AVG Anti-Virus Pro 8.0defeated it and I finally got that damn pest off of my computer in just 2-3 days think god.

Rino3444, Jul 31, 2008
  11. Grant

quasar

"Antivirus 2008" is a malware threat. Download a tool to kill it.

quasar, Aug 24, 2008
  12. Grant

WAW8

quasar:

Why are you bumping a post over three months old? The specific instructions needed to remove it have already been included in the thread, and besides, all you said was to download something to remove it -- not very useful. Please don't bump a post just to repeat old stuff.

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
  13. Grant

technotask

I've Norton'08 on ma laptop and Kaspersky on ma desktop... Kaspersky is more efficient and it keeps am system clean ...

technotask, Feb 18, 2009
  14. Grant

WAW8

Technotask:

While I admire your choice of AV products -- your post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Please don't bump an old post just to post.

WAW8, Feb 18, 2009
  15. Grant

avirupforyou

try to use SPYWARE DOCTOR.... it may solve your problem...

avirupforyou, Apr 22, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question