AGP/Display Problems

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dcmilly, Feb 9, 2008.

1. dcmilly

dcmilly

OK you friendly computer geeks. I'm new to this forum, a certified tech and just installed Vista for the first time.
    Computer Specs are:
    AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard (don't laugh, it's the only current board with AGP)
    Pentium D 945 3.4
    2 gigs of Kingston DDR II 667
    Evga 6800 GT AGP
    WD 80G SATA II

The Vista install had no problems. But I started having problems when I did the Windows Update for the video driver. After reboot, numerous short black line appeared before getting to the desktop. They eventually away, but when a security box opened, it was unreadable. I downloaded the most current driver from Nvidia and had the same problem. If I uninstall the driver and revert back to the driver that was installed during the installation, the problem goes away, but the driver is over a year old. Also, when I opened Media Center, the screen constantly flashes and the audio is very choppy. Nvidia says that any directx 9 card will work with directx 10. Do I need to upgrade to a directx 10 compatible video card? I really don't want to give up my old GT card that I paid big $$$ for.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I need to learn about Vista and all its quirks, like the lack of drivers.

Many Thanks, DCMilly

dcmilly, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dcmilly

WAW8

The main lounge is for discussions, not for requesting technical support. We have a Technical Support forum for that. I'm leaving this here so you will see this when you login again, but will be moving this to the Technical Support forum in the next day or so.

WAW8, Feb 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question