aero theme in vista basic

Discussion in 'Sidebar & GUI Customization' started by WindozBaby, Mar 13, 2007.

1. WindozBaby

WindozBaby

I'm running vista basic and I'm not at all happy with the default vista theme. It' really really ugly.

I dont want to upgrade to premium because I don't need the extra features(just aero).

So is there any way to add new themes? I understand that objectdesk(I think that's what it's called) will let you change themes but I don't want anything running to just change the looks of things.

is there any other alternatives(even if it's just a better non aero theme)?

thank you

WindozBaby, Mar 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. WindozBaby

cyclic

I have had a look around the usual haunts for any themes or objects that do what you want, unfortunately they all run in the background to make the changes and I can't find any specifically for Vista. I think it's safe to say there will be some ways of changing the shell without using additional resources but it may be a bit soon for Vista yet.

I've made a note of your quest and if I find anything I'll let you know. Anything of any real use will likely appear on a site like www.majorgeeks.com which you may not have come across but it's worth checking them out they list lots of new stuff everyday and they test it all for safety and stability before posting it.

cyclic, Mar 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. WindozBaby

WindozBaby

thanks for the info and the site cy. I'll check out the site.

WindozBaby, Mar 15, 2007
  4. WindozBaby

WAW8

I have the same problem on my tablet PC -- won't run Aero and I don't like the look of Vista basic.

My solution was to spend a whole $20 and buy WindowBlinds. That works in Vista now and, while it won't give me aero or transparency, it does give me a lot of choices among different GUI styles. I'm running the "chocolate" skin and it looks really nice!

They have a trial version for XP but I don't know if the trial has been updated for Vista yet. Their website is the following:

http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

Their site also offers previews of the styles, so you know what it will look like before you download and apply it.

WAW8, Mar 16, 2007
  5. WindozBaby

Island Dog

Yes, the WindowBlinds 5.5 trial is updated for Vista as well.

You can also use SkinStudio (which is free) to convert existing XP .msstyles for use with WindowBlinds on Windows Vista, along with current WindowBlinds skins.

Island Dog, Mar 26, 2007
  6. WindozBaby

cyclic

That will mean resources being used in the back ground which the original poster didn't want, personally I can't see what the fuss is about, sure Aero looks nice but it's entirely easthetic and has no useful purpose apart from hoovering up GPU cycles, I have disabled all that sort of stuff and sliding and fading things on my laptop that has Home Premium on but removing the pure 'nicities' of the GUI has quite dramatically improved it's responsiveness.

cyclic, Mar 27, 2007
  7. WindozBaby

Panarchy

I am having the same problem, can someone please help me?

I don't want to have to buy a program...

Panarchy, Apr 5, 2007
  8. WindozBaby

Walker

Walker, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question