Adobe DROPS SUPPORT for Vista x64?

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by ReptileKen, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

I have Vista x64 and it has hummed along just fine until yesterday. I couldn't watch any YouTube videos because YouTube said I need to update my Adobe Flash plugin.

OK, so I use the Chrome browser, usually. But even in IE, same message. I go to Adobe and check out their Flash Player 11 download.

Wow, no warning, just like that. Not supporting WinXP I can understand. But Vista?

I've been trying all night, and no dice. My only solution was to use a developer's debugger version that is constantly nagging me to update, and it STILL doesn't work in IE, only Chrome.

Anyone else want to verify if I'm reading this right?

ReptileKen, Nov 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. ReptileKen

clifford_cooley

Unless I am badly mistaken, you need not worry yourself with that message.

Only 64-bit browsers will need a 64-bit version of Adobe Flash Player. Download the 32-bit version and see if that helps.

I've no experience with Vista 64-bit. I do however have Windows 7 64-bit. Windows 7 64-bit comes with both a 32-bit and 64-bit browser. For those that have Windows 7 32-bit they would download the 32-bit version of Adobe Flash Player. The 64-bit version of Adobe Flash Player will update both browser versions.

Until now everyone has been using a 32-bit browser with the 32-bit version of Adobe Flash Player. Adobe until now, did not even support a 64-bit browser.

clifford_cooley, Nov 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

All links to latest Flash player take you to version 11, which is for both 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Apparently, there is no "32 bit only" version anymore. And the only 64 bit compatibility listed is for Windows 7.

I have a feeling Adobe just decided it's not worth it to mess with Vista 64, since the market is so small for it, and they have to deal with mobile now, too.

Guess it's time to upgrade.

ReptileKen, Nov 7, 2011
  4. ReptileKen

clifford_cooley

clifford_cooley, Nov 7, 2011
  5. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

Hi Clifford,

It seems like people aren't getting it.

Adobe is apparently not supporting Flash Player for Vista 64-bit or XP 64-bit anymore. These are 64-bit OS's, not 64-bit browsers. Like I said, not supporting XP, I can understand. XP is super old and 64 bit XP was never popular in the least. But Vista is not that old and was MS first mainstream 64-bit OS. In addition, Windows 7 is basically Vista core code, so I cannot see why it would be that difficult to make a few changes to support Vista64. I would have expected it to get a little more respect, but apparently, Adobe feels its' resources are too stretched out now, as they've dropped most 64-bit OS support (Win7 excepted) and now mobile support, too.

The links you gave do provide support for "Windows 7" 64-bit, but not Vista 64 bit. You do notice it says "Windows 7 64-bit" only, or "Win7 32 bit/Vista/XP/2008/2003" ? No mention of Vista 64-bit at all, and on the Flash Player download page, it says clearly that the only 64 bit OS supported is Win7.

So, as of now, I have Vista 64 installed, and tried all manner of Flash installers (both 64 bit and 32 bit), even older ones. My only success so far is with an application developers version for IE, which is slightly buggy and slow, but it mostly works.

Unfortunately, I use Chrome browser mostly. The developers version for Chrome worked for a couple days until the Adobe updater started blanking out all Flash objects in my browser today with the "Please update your Flash plugin" garbage. If I could just turn off the Adobe updater inside the Chrome browser somehow, I'd be good to go for a little while longer.

So now i'm stuck with IE, which I kinda don't like. Too bad so many sites use Flash. Or too bad Vista 64 ain't gettin' no respect. Guess it's time to upgrade.

ReptileKen, Nov 10, 2011
  6. ReptileKen

clifford_cooley

The only difference in Adobe Flash Player is the added plug-in support for 64-bit browsers in Windows 7. They didn't drop support for Windows Vista 64-bit because there never was any support for a 64-bit browser in Windows Vista.

Even though you have a 64-bit version of Vista, Adobe Flash Player has always been a 32-bit plugin for a 32-bit browser. Those with Windows 7 64-bit OS's can now take advantage of Adobe Flash Player in their 64-bit browsers so they don't have to use the 32-bit version exclusively.

I am currently using Windows 7 64-bit and have been for two years. The whole time I have been using a 32-bit browser because of the lack in Adobe Flash Player supporting the 64-bit browser. Now that there is support I may decide to move up and start using the 64-bit browser.

I don't know how much plainer I can make this. You say you had Adobe Flash Player installed and the only way that was even possible, was for you to be using a 32-bit browser with Adobe Flash Player 32-bit plug-in. I didn't want to leave you with a short answer by telling you to download and use the 32-bit version. I am simply trying to explain my response and hope that you can understand.

If you are having issues with Adobe Flash Player 32-bit plug-in, that is a different subject and has nothing to do with Adobe Flash Player supporting a 64-bit browser in Windows 7.

clifford_cooley, Nov 10, 2011
  7. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

My system: 32 bit browser (Chrome) on a 64 bit system (Vista 64).

I never said I was using a 64-bit browser.

Adobe has currently dropped support for ANY browser of ANY kind of VISTA 64-Bit.

If anyone has the latest Flash plugin working on their 64-bit Vista machine, especially on Chrome, I'd like to know how you did it, cuz I can't get it working.

ReptileKen, Nov 10, 2011
  8. ReptileKen

beach

I also have Vista 64 bit and just received a new download alert from Adobe (for Flash player update, etc.) 2 days ago. I installed it, as usual, and have had NO problems with watching anything. Maybe I misunderstood what you were asking, but thought I would throw this out there.

beach, Nov 12, 2011
  9. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

Well, I don't know how you manage to run the latest Flash Player when Adobe's site clearly says, with special and obvious notation, that it will NOT WORK with 64-bit Vista.

And...why can't I get it to work, if it's supposed to? Nothing has changed on my machine for weeks. I know how to operate and maintain my machine, as well.

I am mystified.

I installed, reinstalled, tried both IE and Chrome, tried 32 and 64 bit. Nothing works, except the slow and buggy developer's version.

ReptileKen, Nov 14, 2011
  10. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

Well, I got it working.

Solution: Turn off Adobe Update service, under...

Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services >> Adobe Flash Player Update Service - set to "disable"

My problem was after uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting and trying out IE and Chrome, I could get it working for a few minutes, and then suddenly Flash pages would stop working altogether, saying I needed to update my Flash player.

It occurred to me that if it worked for a few minutes and then suddenly did not, there must be some background or hidden service telling Flash Player not to work on purpose, and lo and behold, 'tis true.

The Updater service turns off Flash Player 11 on Vista 64 for no particularly good reason. Once I disabled that, I've been all good. Maybe that is part of the reason why Adobe's Flash download page lists that "Vista 64 is no longer supported"? I dunno.

ReptileKen, Nov 17, 2011
  11. ReptileKen

ReptileKen

Sh%t! :mad:

Looks, like I spoke too dam soon, again!

Don't ask me why, but after having Flash working for the past couple days, I visit YouTube again today and now both my IE and Chrome are complaining that they cannot play the videos because "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. "

I just checked my Adobe Updater service just to make sure it was not turned back on somehow, and it is still listed as disabled.

What the hell is going on here???

:mad::mad::mad: WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

ReptileKen, Nov 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question