admin account lock out

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by rollingfloyd, Dec 7, 2010.

1. rollingfloyd

rollingfloyd

On my pc that has vist as a operating system that has to user accounts set up on it. When i try to open my Account which is the administrators account i get the fallowing come up on screen “The user profile service failed to log on user profile can not be loaded” . i have seen refrances to this problem and they say to delete that acount by booting up in safe mode which i have tried but it will not let me delete the administrators account. What can i do to solve this problem.

rollingfloyd, Dec 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. rollingfloyd

Madman204

can you access the other accounts? try to run system restore from another account. it will probably ask you to input your password to continue that step, but than it might work

warning*** system restore will delete recently installed programs, so if there is anything important just back them up.

Madman204, Dec 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. rollingfloyd

WAW8

FYI .. unless you have specifically UNHIDDEN the real Administrator account, you're is NOT the Admin account. That is a common misconception carried over from the XP days. Yours is a general user account with some admin permissions.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    WAW8, Dec 8, 2010
  4. rollingfloyd

mselvage

Vista Admin Profile corrupted ..

Hi –

There are all kinds of reasons the ‘admin’ account (which is just a regular account with 'admin' privileges) can get corrupted – the 2 part fix for the most common reason is below. And it is fairly simple, provided you haven't followed a lot of bad advice from other forums.

First – you need an account with administrator privileges. But your default ‘admin’ profile is screwed up (which is why your here). Not a problem – activate Vista’s ‘hidden’ administrator account.

To activate this hidden administrator account login to your working, non-admin, account. Find the ’search’ text box in the lower left part of the desktop. Type ‘cmd’ but DO NOT hit ‘enter’ (or ‘return’) key. Instead look up at the top of the ‘Start Menu’ for a ‘CMD’ icon. Right click this icon and click ‘Run as Administrator’. Supply your admin account password – I’m betting it will work and the old DOS Command window will open. If I’m correct – your on your way to a fix.

In the DOS Command window type (without the double quotes):

“net user administrator password”

If the command was successful you just assigned the string “password” as the password to the hidden administrator account.

Now type (again, without the quotes)

“net user administrator /active:yes”

If the command was successful you now have an ‘Administrator’ account you can use (you can ‘hide’ it again when your done with “net user administrator /active:no”)

Logout of your normal account.

Do you see an ‘Administrator’ account? If so – click it. Supply the string ‘password’ for the password. It may take a while for Vista to build the profile for the account.

Note here: if you have ‘Spybot Search and Destroy’ installed it may try to run when Vista is trying to build the new profile. Cancel it. If the ‘Cancel’ seems to ‘hang’ user ‘CTRL’ + ‘ALT + ‘DELETE’ (simultaneously) to bring up the ‘Task Manager’ and kill it.

Once the new Administrator Account is up and running you have an account with admin privileges you can use.

Now – most likely your normal ‘admin’ account got blitzed during some kind of interruption during an ‘update’ (like a power outage).

If this is the case you will have 2 entries in the Registry for the ‘admin’ account – one good one (that it marked with the suffix ‘.bak’) and the one that is giving you problems.

To verify this is the case we need to look at an 2 registry keys and possibly make minor edits to the name of each key.

Go to the ’search’ textbox again and type ‘regedit’.

If the Registry Editor comes up you want to use the left-hand pane and follow the ‘path’ below:

HKEY_Local_Machine->Software->Microsoft->Windows NT->CurrentVersion->ProfileList

You will see key name’s with two distinctively different syntax’s – long and short. You only care about the long ones.

Of the long Key names — does one end in the suffix “.bak”? If so you have found your problem. To verify this check to make sure the Kay Name has a “ProfileImagePath” listed in the right-hand registry editor pane with a value of “C:\Users\admin”.

Look closely at the Key Names in the left-hand pane. Two should be identical with with the exception that one has a suffix “.bak”. The “.bak” also has a lot more ‘Properties’ with values listed in the right-hand pane. This “.bak” is the real deal with the wrong name.

If this is the case rename the non-’.bak’ key (right click on the key name) to the identical name but with the suffix “.bd” (or anything but “.bad” or “.bak”). Now rename the ‘.bak’ key by deleting only the ‘.bak’ suffix — leave the rest of the key name characters alone.

After making the above changes up on the Registry Editor Menu bar click ‘File’->’Exit’

logout of the new (hidden) ‘administrator’ account. Now try to login to your ‘admin’ account.

If you forgot the admin account password (if you have one) you can re-login with the ‘Administrator’ account, go to Start->Control Panel->Users and change the ‘admin’ account password.

Logout and try to login with the ‘admin’ account again.

If all is good – don’t forget to re-hide your ‘Administrator’ account with the command “net user administrator /active:no”. It is a security risk to leave it active.

mselvage, Dec 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question