Admin account issues

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by spiker12, Jun 17, 2007.

1. spiker12

spiker12

I am trying to install my ati drivers and i keep getting this error setup will only run in administrator mode. setup is aborting. But i am in an admin account, please help

spiker12, Jun 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. spiker12

Wojman

Try right clicking and click on Run As Administrator

Wojman, Jun 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. spiker12

WAW8

A common misconception that Vista produces -- you're NOT in an "admin" account, you just think you are. Vista installs two accounts on setup, the true "admin" account and a user account. When you login later, you're actually in the user account -- even though Vista claims that account is a member of the Administrators group.

To login to the real "admin" account, you have to unhide it, and then login to that account. Clicking "Run as admin" when you install an app accomplishes much the same thing, but only does it on a case by case basis.

WAW8, Jun 20, 2007
  4. spiker12

spartacus1875

how do you unhide the true admin account?

spartacus1875, Jun 20, 2007
  5. spiker12

WAW8

Click Start --> Control Panel --> System Maintenance --> Administrative Tools

Then select Computer Management

Click Local Users and Groups

Click the User folder

Right-click Administrator, select Properties

General tab, uncheck the Account is disabled box\

Click OK, exit Computer Management

Reboot

Now, you'll get another user icon on the login screen. This one is for the real "Admin" account.

WAW8, Jun 20, 2007
  6. spiker12

Wojman

One thing to remember, you have to have Vista Ultimate to have Users and Groups in your computer management, you also do not get Local Security Policies, which totally sucks!!!!:angry:

Wojman, Jun 20, 2007
  7. spiker12

WAW8

Really??? I have Business and have the Users and Groups, and secpol in my version.

WAW8, Jun 21, 2007
  8. spiker12

Thomas_GistII

I have Home Premium and I don't have a Local Users and Groups. I've searched through everything remotely related. Any alternate ways to show or disable Admin account?

Thomas_GistII, Jan 22, 2008
  9. spiker12

redbird985

Yes. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to change my Administrative account to myself. I also DO NOT have "Local Groups and Users". I have Vista 32. I AM the owner of this home computer and I am going nuts trying to reinstall a printer disk, and it won't let me because I don't have administrator rights according to the screen. As asked, is there an ALTERNATE way to change this. Please explain in 'baby steps' as I'm pretty novice at this.

I have searched all the forums, and can't find an answer on how to change this when one does not have "Local Groups and Users".

redbird985, Jan 22, 2008
  10. spiker12

WAW8

You're addressing several related problems.

I've just "pinned" a post on two methods of unhiding the "real" Admin account. Read that post and see if either of those methods work for you.

Also, you can get Admin rights on as as-needed basis by right-clicking on an executable and selecting Run as Administrator from the menu. That's a good idea to use when installing an application.

As to why you can not install a printer, which version of Vista are you running? Home Basic? Home Premium? Other? Also, is this a local printer or network printer?

WAW8, Jan 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question