Adding a Shutdown button onto my desktop

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Quiksilver, May 11, 2007.

1. Quiksilver

Quiksilver

Right, im a Lazy git. Clicking the start button is simply too much work for me.

So, I want a button on my desktop to shut down the laptop.

Any ideas? I tried making a .bat file to do it, gets in a loop. Im crappy at this sorta thing :)

Any help appriciated!

Cheers

Kev

And yes, as i said. Im lazy. Im the kinda guy with shortcuts to all of his drives on the desktop because im too lazy to open my computer.

Quiksilver, May 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Quiksilver

cyclic

Me too so here's one how to, got to http://www.totalidea.com/content/index.htmland get the latest 'free' version of TweakVista install and run, down the left side menu look for Visual tweaks and 3 choices should appear in the right pane, select desktop tweaks.....etc; then when that arrives near the bottom left are all the 'make shortcut to' items I use the shutdown one which I dragged to the quicklaunch toolbar, now when shutting down I just click the little red button and off she goes............isn't the close down dialogue with the drop down box a real pain ? many times I choose to shutdown only to find I had accidentally selected 'standby', hence my search for the little red button.

There are also hoodles of other excellent tweaks within even the free version and I would recommend to anyone, just a word of caution to less advanced users, if you don't understand what will happen as the result of activating a particular then don't touch it, or at least until you look it up in the very adequate help file in the program, or even ask here.

cyclic, May 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Quiksilver

Walker

I just press pc shutdown button. I'm too lazy to use the mouse.

Walker, May 12, 2007
  4. Quiksilver

Quiksilver

Now that is lazy :)

I was thinking of getting one of those "clap off" things people use to turn off lights, but i fear thats taking it to another level of lazyness :)

Quiksilver, May 14, 2007
  5. Quiksilver

Walker

That might be ever so slightly too much. Plus my power button is so close that it takes same effort as click start and shutdown....

Walker, May 14, 2007
  6. Quiksilver

SwiftImmortal_1

all you gotta do is create a new shortcut on your desktop. When it asks you for the Location, type in "shutdown.exe -S -t 0" (without quotations). That's all there is to it in Vista anyway...I think it's the same method in XP, too.

...and for a restart button just change the -S to -r :cool:

Oh and I'm really lazy too...all I did before I created the desktop buttons was hit the power button WITH MY TOE!!! :D:smooooth:

SwiftImmortal_1, Jul 23, 2007
  7. Quiksilver

Jason

You should hook your computer up to one of those. Should make for some sweet bootup messages.

Jason, Jul 23, 2007
  8. Quiksilver

teddy939

i to lazy i just leave my pc on.:D

teddy939, Jul 23, 2007
  9. Quiksilver

kingofnexus

SNAP me too!! rofl :w00t:

kingofnexus, Jul 24, 2007
  10. Quiksilver

cpemma

The TweakVI method noted above relies on TweakVI being installed (or at least the 16k command.exe program included in it), so I'll be converting to your way. :)

The power button on the Start menu can also be changed to either Sleep, Shutdown, or Restart in Control Panel/Power Options/"Change what the power button does".

cpemma, Feb 29, 2008
  11. Quiksilver

WAW8

If you go to the Windows Gadget gallery, you'll see a gadget that puts a three-button panel into the sidebar. It's called Shutdown. Just click the button you want, and Vista shuts down. Can't get much easier than that.

WAW8, Feb 29, 2008
  12. Quiksilver

chrisscorsese88

chrisscorsese88, Mar 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question