Activation crack Discovered For Vista x32

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

An activation crack has reportedly been discovered which activates Vista without using a delayed activation script has been found. The new crack emulates the BIOS used by many pc manufacturing company's such as Acer & Asus who sell pre-activated systems. The BIOS these company's use are detected by Vista and allowed pre-activation because of that particular BIOS. Quite a clever crack. The crack is reportedly a software based app and involves no BIOS flashing.

BIOS emulation OEM Certificate Product Key = Legitimate, Activated copy of Windows Vista.

The original crack was made by Team Paradox.

Hopefully Microsoft can get on this and fix it, although it seems like patching it would be quite difficult without putting the pc manufacturers through hell.

Jason, Mar 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

WAW8

According to what I read on this, a reason that it works at all is that MS has supplied what amounts to VLK keys to the manufacturers so they can do apriori activation -- at least, that's how I think it works. That's not a whole lot different than the Devil's Own VLK that was distributed back in the early XP days.

This is going to be a tough nut for MS to crack (sorry for the pun ...). Let's say I uses the ASUS key (the one being recommended) to pre-activate a copy of Vista. If the machine then checks with MS to confirm that's a valid key, it will find out that it is. And, since it's essentially a VLK, MS will (probably) not block activation.

If MS decides to disable this key through a future Windows Update, that will disable all the LEGAL installations of this key that were done by VARs -- requiring all those machine owners to get a new key. If you then expand this to include HP, Dell, and others, you have the potential of hundreds of thousands of machines with legitimate keys being deactivated.

That's not a picture that MS wants to see. So, it will be interesting to see how they solve this one.

WAW8, Mar 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Jason

Exactly, Microsoft really can't do anything. Except change their keys for the Manu. but like you said they can't block them.

Jason, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Jason

Bistro

I'm just curious as to why the techno-weenies at MS didn't see this coming....what with all the planning, development, trouble-shooting meetings, etc.. I would think that they "red teamed" Vista to check out its vulnerabilities. :unsure:

Bistro, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Jason

DogTag

It just goes to show the hackers and crackers of the world will, somehow, someway, find ways to hack and crack programs whether it's sooner or later. It's rough for the software companies I will admit.

DogTag, Apr 2, 2007
  6. Jason

WAW8

Saw an article on WinBeta today about the OEM crack:

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=6852&catid=1

OK, so this crack is "easier to detect and respond to" than a BIOS crack. But it still doesn't say WHAT MS is intending to do to respond to this.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

WAW8, Apr 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question