Accidentally deleted the OS

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Gene24, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Gene24

Gene24

Hello, I have a DV6000 and am running Windows Vista. Somehow the Vista was deleted off partition 1 on the HDD, I still have the recovery console on the partition 2 that was put on from the factory. Is there anyway to get to the factory restore partition on the hdd or should i just delete it? Everytime I start it now I get a black screen and I believe it says invalid partition or something, not positive. Would I be able to download any free type OS and install just to be able to maybe be able to load the laptop and hit the f11 and get to the factory restore? I do not have disk as it only came with the restore partition built in. Thanks for any help.

Gene24, Aug 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Gene24

clifford_cooley

Use a third party bootable partitioning application. Create the CD and boot the machine from the CD. From within the app set the Recovery Partition as active. What this does is marking the partition to boot. Only the partition that is mark active will boot. Once the Recovery Partition is set active, reboot the machine.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition is a good one if you are not sure what to look for. Follow the download link and download the Bootable CD. Just so you know this application will let you make several changes before you actually tell the app to finalize them. It is a two step process, make all your changes and then finalize them all at once.

If you have further problems, let me know and I will see if I can help. Its getting late so it maybe tomorrow before I check back.

clifford_cooley, Aug 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Gene24

Gene24

Thanks, I will give that a try. Just wanted to updated. After I posted this last night I tried installing one of the free OS just to give it a try, I installed Pandora I believe, which I am on right now using this laptop. When it gives me the option to pick what to load into when I power on I do get the option of the vista restore partition. It lets me click the factory restore but as soon as it starts the restore I get this error code. 0X400110020000100A. I have tested the hdd and ram a few times to make sure none are faulty and both passed the tests no problem. Let me know what you think and if I should still try your suggestion. Thanks

Gene24, Aug 5, 2012
  4. Gene24

johnwrites

Google neosmart windows vista recovery disk
    Might help.Not enough posts to post links

johnwrites, Aug 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question