Accessing Shared XP Folders within Vista Problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by darrenkarp, Feb 7, 2007.

1. darrenkarp

darrenkarp

Hi all,

Having installed Vista Home Premium yesterday on my notebook and installing the latest updates despite being able to see my other XP PC's on my home network for some reason when I attempt to open up a shared folder there is an approx 60 second delay then Vista promptly informs me that either the shared resource is no longer available or I don't have permission to access it. Other XP PC's can access each other shared folders.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

To reiterate; I can see all the shared folders within Vista but cannot access their contents.

TIA

Darren

darrenkarp, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. darrenkarp

Crispy

You may have set the permissions wrong on the vista or xp. Go over the settings on the vista because I had a similar problem and it ended up being that vista was not letting me access the other computer

Crispy, Feb 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. darrenkarp

snorbaard

Yes, make sure your have given access to the external (vista) user both under the "Security" tab AND the "Sharing" tab.

snorbaard, Feb 15, 2007
  4. darrenkarp

Jason

Also set vista in network control area, to "private" instead of "public" network. I make sure the option to share is enabled. Search the boards people have had these kinds of problems before.

Jason, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question