Access or login to hidden user account

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bizkit64, Jul 1, 2007.

1. bizkit64

bizkit64

I have created a hidden user account buy going to my regedit and following this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/SpecialAccounts/UserList and right clicking and adding a new DWORD (32-bit) Value. I typed in my account name exactly as it should be and assigned it a value of 0. It now doesn't show up on my welcome screen. However, in XP you would push CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to login. However this doesn't work in Vista. What do I do to access this hidden account?

bizkit64, Jul 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bizkit64

AmericanNightmare

Yeah well as you have found it does not work that way in Vista but it can be done but you need to change a few policies.I have browsed through the tips and tweaks forum and this does not seem to be there. The method differs depending on which version of Vista you use. For Business,Ultimate or Enterprise do as follows.

run gpedit.msc

open GPEdit.MSC utility and go to Local Computer Policy\Computer Config\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Policies and change these two policies.

Interactive Login: Do not change last user name-change to enable

Interactive login: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL-change to disable (assuming you still want to use the CRTL+ALT+DEL option, if not you can omit this policy change)

exit and reboot

For Basic and Premium you edit the registry a bit more than in XP.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System

Change the value data setting DontDisplayLastUserName to (1)

If you want to use the old CTRL+ALT+DEL trick do the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\System

New/DWORD (32bit) Value and name the value DisableCAD (careful this is case sensitive) make sure your new dword value is set to (0)

exit reboot and you should now have to hit CRT+ALT+DLT to access the hidden account

AmericanNightmare, Jul 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question