A different AntiVirus for each login?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Saikuron, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Saikuron

Saikuron

Alright, my brother wants to use Trend Micro Antivirus, and I want to use Nod32.

Is it possible (and safe?) to have a different one running on each account?

I tried msconfig (changed on all accounts) and Windows Defender (wouldnt let me do anything unless I had it on "Show for all users").

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Saikuron, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Saikuron

Titch

First the easy bit.......
    There is know reason for not having to AV's installed on one machine infact alot of people do that, the second one is normally set not to start with windows and is only ever used to get a second opinion when there is reason to believe your preferred AV is not picking somet up. What you shouldn't do is have them both active/running at the same time.

Now for the second part to your question!!!
    You would possibly be able to do it if you set both av's not to start when windows start. Then place a shortcut to the respective AV in to each of the "Start" folders under all programs in each account. The other thing that might work is toschedule a task under each account to start the AV of choice depending on which account is started. I would disable fast user switching as this would result in both AV's being active if you were to switch accounts rather than logging out.

Let us know how you get on!

Titch, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Saikuron

Titch

Somet else to think about!

I'm not saying it won't work for you(every user has different experiances)but I haveused the last 2 versions of trend micro AV and both times I got infections(admitadly I do visit sites I know envole risk of infection). NOD on the other hand is widly excepted as a good(one of the best)solid AV, that doesn't consume huge ammounts of resources and would be the one I would choose. Choosingone AVwould also save you the trouble you are having!

I am not onefor spending money on anything I don't have to and avoid cracked software where ever possible. So I have opted for a free AV, in my oppinion (I've tried alot and am always trying new or upgraded AV software) would recomend AVAST4 to anyone, what ever OS they are using.

Titch, Apr 10, 2007
  4. Saikuron

Walker

Avast 4 works seamlessly with Vista and is a joy to use. I have posted in the download section a link to a skin that makes it look more vista like and therefore fits better with the rest

Walker, Apr 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question