A change occurred to your Windows license

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by noob2007, May 22, 2007.

1. noob2007

noob2007

Hey guys,

After attemping to activate Windows Vista Ultimate and restarting I get the following error: "A change occurred to your Windows license" it wants me to retype the Windows Vista Ultimate product key, none of the ones I have work. I want to restore my system to before I tried to activate windows and just enjoy whatever is left of my 30 days, how can that be done?

I managed to access the Computer (by clicking on "Go online to validate that your software is genuine" and typing "Computer" in the IE window that openes, but control panel seems to be disabled + there is no start menu and I cannot access the Run window by clicking Windows+R. HELP!

Thanks a lot :D,

Noob2007

noob2007, May 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. noob2007

Vester

I don't know the specific date fornot allowingnew installations of Vista RC2, but users started getting notifications about the 31 May expiration on 18 May. I was unable to reinstall RC2 inFebruary usingthe copy of RC2 that I had received from Microsoft.

See Windows Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 set to expire.

Vester, May 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. noob2007

noob2007

Okay! I found a solution!
    Disconnect your computer from the internet, and restart it (I pushed the actual button, or else you don't get the options of what to do) Now that it says Windows did not shut down properly and gives you options choose Safe Mode - DO NOT choose safe mode with networking.
    Now wait for it to load, log in. A message saying you cannot activate windows in a safe mode will be displayed, just ignore it. Now you have full access to windows.
    Hit the start button and type "System Restore" (without quatation marks).
    Press Enter - restore your computer to the latest possible point that is still before any changes were made.
    Your computer will be restarted in regular mode - it works! You're Done!!! ^^

Thank you for trying to help guys! :)
    Noob 2007

noob2007, May 22, 2007
  4. noob2007

WAW8

What you encountered was something known as Reduced Functionality Mode, which happens automatically when your Vista license becomes invalid -- for whatever reason. In the past, this has happened for any significant hardware change and even some software changes (i.e., device drivers, BIOS updates). They may have fixed the latter problems because I did some driver changes in the last couple of days and was NOT invalidated.

What do you mean when you said that none of the keys you tried worked? You do know that MS now stores all the keys that have been used for activation, so once someone uses a key (even the legitimate owner), MS knows about that and can easily prevent reactivation using the same key.

WAW8, May 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question