A Brand New Problem - Never seen it before

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by boweasel, May 12, 2011.

1. boweasel

boweasel

I was over at a friend's house, and they asked me to take a look at their daughter's laptop. Unfortunately, all I remember is that it runs Vista. I cannot recall the brand, or model, or whether it runs 64 or 32 bit. However....

It runs very slowly, and when the desktop finally displays we DO have a taskbar, although there are no icons or gadgets. But what makes this so unique is that if I initiate the task manager, I can see the box for a fraction of a second, then it zooms (incredibly quickly) from the middle of the screen to beyond the right hand border. Not even the left edge of the task manager box is visible.

Meanwhile, on the taskbar, I can see the task manager, and can even hover the mouse over it to get the small view of the tool.

I can click on Start and get the double panes to display, but if I select say, Control Panel, it shoots off the right of the screen, while displaying the spot for it on the taskbar.

Everything behaves that way in normal mode.

In Safe Mode, everything works as it should. I ran Malwarebytes, and it found 25 problems, which I removed, but it made no difference when I restarted normally. Same weird behavior.

I couldn't stick around any longer, and they wanted to play around with it a little on their own, but I thought I'd investigate it on my own. I could find nothing on any internet sites that alluded to that kind of problem.

Any ideas? .

boweasel, May 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. boweasel

clifford_cooley

It is possible they initiated a dual screen mode on the laptop to span the screen across two monitors.

Does this laptop have a monitor port for an additional screen to be attached?

Check monitor resolutions and see if they are set correctly.
    Someone might have activated a handicap feature. I've not had any experience on this topic though.

clifford_cooley, May 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. boweasel

boweasel

Not possible. These people are not computer-minded. The laptop has whatever it came with when they bought it 2 years ago. They wouldn't have a clue about how to set up a dual screen mode. And it was working perfectly about a month ago, they tell me.
    Yes, it does. I assume that since it displays fine in safe mode, that the monitor was not the problem, but it's worth checking..
    Will do, although I'll have to check it in safe mode.
    Never thought of that... You mean the Accessibility option off the control panel?

boweasel, May 12, 2011
  4. boweasel

clifford_cooley

It is possible, especially when there are special key sequences to trigger these functions. I know that HP has two keys on their laptops that will switch display modes. The "FN key" + "Monitor key" will toggle between 4 modes.

Checking the resolution in safe mode will only show the resolution in safe mode. Going to safe mode will not help.

Yeah thats it. I have Windows 7 now and it's not called that now. I couldn't remember the exact name.

clifford_cooley, May 12, 2011
  5. boweasel

boweasel

Thanks. I did not know that, and I'll check it later today.
    Of course, there's the rub...I can't get to the control panel to view the settings, and even right clicking on the destop initiates that whole zooming off to the right thing.
    Will check that as well.

boweasel, May 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question