847mb RAM instead of 1024mb

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Pyromenace, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Pyromenace

Pyromenace

Can someone tell me why it says that I have 847mb RAM instead of 1024mb? Is it because I have 2x512mb?

Pyromenace, Jun 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Pyromenace

Camride

I would be willing to bet you have integrated graphics that is using up part of your system memory. It's pretty normal on cheaper mass produced desktops.

Camride, Jun 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Pyromenace

jshurak

Hi, this is actually my first post. I have a similar issue. Up until recently I had 3 gigs of RAM (2 x 512's and 2 x 1gig's) running in Vista 64 fine. No integrated graphics card. Vista was reporting 3 gigs. The other day I swapped out the 2 512's for two additional 1 gig's. The BIOS menu is reporting the full 4 gigs, but Vista is only reporting 3.25 gigs. According to the manufacturer (PNY), vista has issue reporting the correct megahertz on some of their graphics cards. After some research (and not finding too much), I've resided myself to chalking this up to a reporting issue as well. (vista is running faster than a .25 gig boost) Unless anyone else has any idea of what might be going on? I would be really impressed if this is, in fact, just a .25 gig boost! I'd like to see what the full gig would do!:)

jshurak, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Pyromenace

WAW8

I have an older ASUS mobo and on their forum, a few months back, there was discussion about having to enable a "Memory Hole" setting in the BIOS for Vista to see the full 4GB. That forum is down so I can't give you the link, but you could google on this -- or perhaps someone else running 4GB can comment on this...

WAW8, Nov 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question