5355 Vista Sneek Peek!

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

As far as 'mind-boggling teeny-weeny text... buttons, forms' is concerned, Marts screenshot shows the expanded 'All Programs' view -- here is the default view -- noticethe simplicity.<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE>

With regards to his statement '...look at all the information I have to sort through in order to find what I want.' Well, you don't have to wade through all of the items in the expanded 'All Programs' view if you don't want to -- that's what the Search box is for.As anexample, let's say I wanted to find the calculator, I would start typing 'calculator' and this is what I would see...<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart on the usable desktop space...<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

"Supersized taskbar and giant sidebar clutter my workspace with seldom-used information, and leave me maybe 80% of my screen for actual work."</BLOCKQUOTE>

His screenshot shows a Windows Taskbar which has been expanded to double the normal size by the user and he assumes the Windows Sidebar takes up application space (which it doesn't by default). Here is a screenshot of Notepad running and taking up almost the entire desktop-- note Windows Sidebar is still there underneath.<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE>

He then makes a comparison of the Windows Vista desktop with the MacOS desktop. Here is the screenshot he should have used with the Windows Taskbar moved to the top of the desktop and the Windows Sidebar hidden by double-clicking the Task Tray applet (both easily accomplished by the end user).<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE>

(Aside: I would be interested to know exactly what resolution Mart was running when he took the screenshot of the MacOS desktop so we can really compare apples to apples -- I'm pretty sure he is running higher than 1024x768.)

On Internet Explorer Mart says...<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

"Why there is all this horrible visual complexity right at the top of every single browser window, that I can never get rid of?"</BLOCKQUOTE>

At this point I have to stop and ask if Mart is basing his comments on his actual personal use of Windows Vista, or merely on static screenshots?His screenshots show optional features which have been enabled by the end user within Internet Explorer.

Here is the screenshot I would have liked to seen Mart use for Internet Explorer...<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

[​IMG]</BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion it doesn't have much visual clutter out of the box -- certainly way less than Internet Explorer 6 and earlier.

Mart on the Network Settings properties...<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

"Not much change there - well, except I hope my Grandma never calls me up and tells me her Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver broke."</BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart makes it seem really easy to get to this property page -- but it's not. It's there if an advanced user or technical support needs this level of resources. Here are all the hoops Mart had to use to finally arrive at the Network Settings properties...<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

1) Click the Start button on the Windows Vista desktop.

2) Select C

Jason, Apr 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Aranarth

So... where's the link to his blog?

Aranarth, Apr 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Jason

I thought it was in the copy/past guess I missed it, I usually always add a source. Thanks.

Jason, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Jason

Synapse

Don't know where this guy got his info, but according to my sources, 5355 isn't available outside of miscrosoft yet.

Synapse, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Jason

Jason

Dunno, but he could know someone who works there. Wouldnt be too hard to get it leaked.

Jason, Apr 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question