5.1 Sound

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Musty, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Musty

Musty

Anybody can help me get 5.1 sound with vista? I have a sound blaster live 5.1 installed, and I have sound, but only from the green jack. I need windows so see that I use the orange and black ones too. How do I do that? Thanks.

I'm on vista Beta2

Musty, Jun 14, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Musty

Jason

W/ 5.1 Sound nothing will come out the orange/black ones which I am assuming are your 5.1 channels. Everything in vista will be in 2.1 unless you are playing a game or movie which supports 5.1. Vista's default drivers may or may not support 5.1. Only way to find out is pop a movie in or a 5.1 game. If they don't you can try installing the latest sound blaser drivers for vista...check out http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/7651/

Jason, Jun 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Musty

kobalt

Hi, I just installed the normal Win 2k/XP Creative drivers for Sound Blaster Live! lastest Driver sets! The trick is by just starting the Setup file, the whole driver set will be extracted to a Temp directory in your Home Directory, just let it run until completed. Then you will get an Error from windows!

Just open up the Device Manager, Control Panel->System->Device Manager Select the Device you need the drivers to be installed, and Say Update Driver and Install the Driver yourself! The drivers are located in this Temp directory...you 'll find in another Sub directory something CRF*** a Audio directory. There are the drivers to install.

Cya

kobalt, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Musty

Jason

Good Find! This is getting Pinned. BTW welcome to the site.;)

Jason, Jun 16, 2006
  5. Musty

Darkspark88

What a coincidence. I have the exact same sound card and was going to post the exact same question, except I have the exception of no sound at the moment.

I will try that first suggestionandlast suggestion bykobalt and post back results.

Darkspark88, Jun 16, 2006
  6. Musty

ill-tempered

Just a slightly different method. I downloaded XP drivers and ran the program with XP compatibility mode... it refused to install when the compatibility mode was off - and ran and auto installed the drivers when XP compatability was set to on....

Hope this helps...

ill-tempered, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Musty

WAW8

I'm also having trouble with 5.1 sound in Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Have a Turtle Beach Montego DDL sound card. At first, Vista said no sound device installed, but then updated the drivers automatically to some C-Media drivers (card has a 8768+ chipset). When I do th device test, from the sound control panel, I get sound for every one of the speakers on the diagram -- full 7.1 sound. I can even hear the sound out the center and rear channels. But this only happens during the sound testing.

When I switch over to WMP11 or to WinAMP, I still get all the sound but now, it comes out only through the front two jacks.

I tried installing open source AC'97 drivers and they only provided 2-channel sound. So that was even worse.

Of course, Turtle Beach does not have Vista drivers and they indicate that the XP drivers do NOT work with Vista.

Any suggestions?

WAW8, Feb 15, 2007
  8. Musty

kami

go to control panel>hardware and sound>sound>doubble click on speakers>Enhancement tab>Select Speaker Fill Effect> and apply immediate mode.this will force out sound from all speakers with out any problems. But you will only hear the music and singing from your front and centre speaker, and vista has a built in crossover for the subwoofer, all you will hear from the rear speakers is just the music, no voice exept on maybe a few songs, it is what i have done on my 7.1 system.

Good Luck

kami, Feb 22, 2007
  9. Musty

xpepa

I set 5.1 sound, and play only stereo :(

xpepa, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Musty

WAW8

Kami:

I went into control pan (on Vista) but there's no Enhancement Tab and there's no speaker fill effect. When I double-click the speakers, the only tabs I get are General, Levels, and Advanced.

The advanced tab only has Default Format (sample rate) and Exclusive Mode.

WAW8, Mar 7, 2007
  11. Musty

doghucat

I solved the problem by buying a new card by Bluegears that has beta driver support for Vista and the card sound great would have bought it again in a heartbeat its the b-Enspirer

doghucat, Mar 14, 2007
  12. Musty

WAW8

Some heads-up on 5.1 sound and Vista ...

I accidentally discovered that the Nero ShowTime app (which comes with Nero 7) WAS able to play 5.1 sound! This made me curious because neither WinAMP nor WMP was able to play anything other than 2-channel sound -- even though I could hear all the channels in the speaker config panel.

The answer was in forcing "speaker fill", but on my Vista, the path was different, as follows:

1) Right-click on the speaker icon in the tray and select Sounds

2) On the Sound panel, click the Playback tab

3) On the Playback panel, click the speakers icon, then click the Properties button

4) On the Speakers Properties panel, click the Enhancements tab

5) Scroll down in the sound effect box and click the Speaker Fill button

Now, I get all the channels in WinAMP and WMP!!

WAW8, Mar 17, 2007
  13. Musty

WAW8

Been experimenting a lot lately with 5.1 sound -- [email protected] TB still doesn't have Vista drivers for my Montego DDL card. Some of this might be useful to others trying to get 5.1 sound under Vista ...

To get more than 2 channels of output from MP3s (or any other 2-channel sound source), your sound chipset and drivers must be able to synthesize the additional channels. 2-channel is installed by default. To get more, you have to set an option. In some drivers, this is done in the Sounds control panel, on an Enhancement table that has a list of options, including something along the line of Speaker Fill or Surround Sound, etc.

If you have Nero Showtime installed (from V7), their app provides its own feature for synthesizing multi-channel sound. I've found that if you don't have surround sound selected, WinAmp will only give you two channels, but Nero will still give you more. So, if you have a 5.1 (or 7.1) sound chip and drives, and you're only getting 2.0 sound, check the surround sound settings.

If you have a C-media 8768 chip (e.g., TB Montego DDL), you can download the Auzentech Mystique 7.1 Vista drivers and they will work. You have to FORCE Vista to install the drivers using Device Manager and Have Disk, and then choosing the right INF file.

In terms of the current sound card situation ...

Auzentech, Bluegears, and CL all now have Vista drivers out for their cards. There are rumours that Auzen is working on an OpenAL-compatible card to replace their current Meridian card. So, if you really want OpenAL, instead of dropping $200 on the Auzen card now, you may want to wait until their new card comes out. CL claims to have a direct sound to-Open AL converter aleady incorporated into their Vista drivers.

If anyone has any newer info, please post it here.

WAW8, Mar 29, 2007
  14. Musty

Scottyuk

um as said in a post before the enhancments tab isn't there.

am i missing something???

I have all the updates but still only 2.1 sound

Scotty

Scottyuk, May 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question