45 second delay in my html compiler eBookgold story startup.....

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Glenda, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Glenda

Glenda

I am using theHTML eBook compiler by Implix to publish a book I have written.The sample compiler isavaliable on their website: http://www.ebookgold.com Look for it in the header. If you download their sample and try to open it, you should get the delay as I have if you have Vista. I am experiencing a 45 second delay when I start my story or eBookGold's HTML sample. I have had the Implix help tech on line for several hours as well as the HP tech. Neither have solved the delay in starting theHTML program. Microsoft keeps diverting me to their help sites that are for the most part useless on this problem.

The ebookgold tech says it is in my Vista OS HP computer. I have to agree with this tech asany computer with XP works fine.

The HP tech says he does not know a solution.

So here I sit, I have spent hours trying to eliminate the long startup delay. I have stopped every firewall and spam preventer to no avail.

I would most certainly try any suggestion that is put forth.........How about some help here guys!!!!

Glenda, Sep 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Glenda

AmericanNightmare

I don't think i will be able to help you with your problem asthe site you directed us to looks decidedly hinky to say the least. Regardless of your delay issue if it was me i would have nothing further to do with that product.

My suspicious mind tells me that your delay is caused by the "company" gathering information but that may not be the case but i can't test that theoryas i for one won't download anything that requires me to give out mypersonal information and i would advise you to follow that example in the future.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Glenda

Glenda

The website is one of may thatis used by authorsthat sell a password protected eBook to buyers. I have been using the product for over two years now and it is truly amazing and works just as the programmer claims. Until I bought the new HP computer with Windows Vista OS, there has never been a conflict and the eBookGold program has always performed beyond my expectations. The sample program on their website is the only way I can demonstrate to the folks on this forum that I do have something in my Vista system that is causing a 45 second delay in opening my eBook story "Other Mother's Secret". If I do not solve this problem of the long delay, then I cannot offer the eBook for sale to buyers.

I was hoping that one of the forum members would download the sample programjust to see if it had a delay when it is opened on their vista OS Computer. This wouldassure me that the Vista OS is causing the problem.

Visit my web site: http://www.othermotherssecret.com/

Glenda, Sep 10, 2007
  4. Glenda

cyclic

Not really, you could have faulty memory or even a dodgy or corrupt video driver could cause delays, to be honest what some other computer does with it is no help at all in diagnosing what problems there might be with your configuration, perhaps people who read ebooks are impatient but 45 seconds is not really too long to wait for something in my opinion, I have games and rendering apps on my PC which take as long to open, I can undestand your frustration if you feel it in some way prevents you from selling a product, personally I don't think it would.

cyclic, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Glenda

Glenda

Cyclic, I feel that I am one of the luck ones that has theVista OSthat is working as it should. I am just trying to determine of the eBookGold is working as it should on another Vista OS. I have a solution in that I can put a splash screen up that explains the delay, but I would rather the eBook open as it should without the delay. I know Vista is somehow holding up the start of the program , but I need to know for sure.

Anyone game to help?

Glenda, Sep 10, 2007
  6. Glenda

cyclic

I also have been to the site and have to agree with a previous post, are you aware of the amount of personal information they require before letting you get to the download page ? in this age of spamming and the like it goes against all good advice to supply information like this, especially for a 'demo' of something they are supposedly selling ? not a normal marketing tactic and certainly one which I advise anyone to stear clear of, sorry if it were otherwise I would happily download the demo and run it, but I have a lot to do with websites and internet and computing every day and no site like that gets any information from me. Yes I am 'game' as you put it, but not a fool.

cyclic, Sep 10, 2007
  7. Glenda

Glenda

OK Cyclic, I don't blame anyone for being suspicious of a web site asking for info. I get free access to that web site because I bought their program two years ago. However, I do not remember giving up any personal info at the time.

I will gladly post the small HTML zipped "Sample" file here or email it to anyone that is willing to help me with this stupid delay problem. I need some help to post the zipped file if that is possible.

My email is on the last page ofmy web site and I can assure you that my problem is real. I will email the file to you or anyone that asks for it. I downloaded the Sample file and I get the 45 second delay just as my story does.It would be a big help and I will certainly appreciate any help. If I get no response, then I'll drop my request for help.

I will even go so far as to offer a free copy of my story to anyone that will help me.

Sincerely, Glenda

http://www.othermothessecret.com/

Glenda, Sep 10, 2007
  8. Glenda

AmericanNightmare

Ok Glenda i ran the sample ebook application you sent me and it opens instantaneously on my system so it is not a Vista issue that i can tell (at least not on my PC). The same for browing around the different features and sectionsthe response is immediate. I have closed and opened it at least 10 times now with the same result so i would sayyour problemis possibly hardware related.

Youmay justneed to do a disk defragmentation and clean-up as well as a good registry fix/clean these are common issues that can result in poor response time.

Please post your hardware configuration to the best of your knowledge so we can better isolate this problem.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 10, 2007
  9. Glenda

Glenda

I am not too sure I am posting what is needed to express my hardware, but there goes.....

Windows Vista Home Premium with all updates.

Version 6.60.6000 Build 6000

System Desktop HP-Pavilion Model a6042n, X86 Based PC Physical memory 886 MB Avaliable Physical Memory 377 MB

Virtual memory 1.99 GB, Avaliable: 1.13 GB

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4200+ 2.2GHz Memory 894 MB 32 bit Operating system

Multi Smart card slot expansion port on the frontand one DVD super multi Drive/CD writer.

USB Sony 2 spd floppy disk drive active on startup. One cable modem. IE 7

There are several firewalls. Avast, Windows Defender, and PeerGuardian (I just installed that today)

If I missed anything, let me know.

Glenda

Glenda, Sep 10, 2007
  10. Glenda

Glenda

Concerning Disk Defragmentation, I did that Sunday and it has not helped. I am going to be lost on a Registry fix. I have however tried to stop some of the start up items that I thought were not necessary. Temporary internet files are cleared out too.

Glenda

Glenda, Sep 10, 2007
  11. Glenda

AmericanNightmare

Physical memory 886 MB Avaliable Physical Memory 377 MB

Virtual memory 1.99 GB, Avaliable: 1.13 GB

That concerns me a bit but i don't think it's enough of an issue to cause a 45 second delay it look as if your drive indexing is enabled that might explain why it's paging when you still have 377MB of RAM available. You could try disabling disk indexing by going to computer>local disk C:,right click and choose properties uncheck the box thatreads "index this drive for faster searching"

I have a suspicion that for some reason your computer is using virtual memory instead of RAM toload your applicationwhich it should not be doing. I'll keep working on it ( i have a lot of other tasks i am working on at the same time so it may be a bit)and in the meantime maybe someone else can give you some suggestions. I know this is frustrating try to be patient and we'll likely get it worked out.I am not the smartest one here by far so it may be awhile like i said.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 10, 2007
  12. Glenda

Glenda

I followed your instrctions. Indexing was checked. I cleared the check. I did not however restart the computer. There was no change in the sample delay.

I appreciate your efforts to help.

I will keep looking also.

Glenda, Sep 11, 2007
  13. Glenda

Glenda

I installed the CPU meter on the side bar as I have a friend that says that the CPU usage is a good indicator of when Defrag is necessary. Which I am not too sure about.

The little CPU indicator had two meters. A little one in the right back and a larger one to the left front.

The little meter in the back was constantly reading in the 60's. After I defraged the hard drive, the meter dropped to the low 50 to 55 range.

The meter in the lt. front changes as I initate a program.

Sooooo my question is, why is the meter reading so high?. Maybe you are right, something isoverworking theCPU.

Glenda, Sep 11, 2007
  14. Glenda

AmericanNightmare

The little meter indicates RAM usage the larger CPU. Fluctuation is normal for the CPU meter and the RAM is reading About right as well.

That being said there is a better way to veiw your processor load. Go to your Taskbar and right click on any blank area, selecttask manager then the performance tab you should see a graph for each core of your CPU and for your memory usage. If one core or both cores are running unusually high while idle (not doing anything else on your machine) then there is most likely a process running that should not be and it is likely (not definite however) that your infected with a virus i know you have Avast so schedule a boot time scan by starting Avast,clicking on the menu button in the upper left hand corner and selecting "schedule boot time scan" you will be prompted to restart so do so. This method will sometimes find little nasties that hide from the scan from within Windows. Report back if it finds anything.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 13, 2007
  15. Glenda

Glenda

Thanks for the instructions.

I did run the Avast scan after I ran Spybot.

I ran Spybot also. It showed the DSO Exploitalong with several otherminor problems.

One adware showedup....W32/Rbot-FKM and I spent several hours thismorning trying to rid the computer of the Exploit.

My husband binally managed to change the Registry as the removal instructions indicated. I am not too sure the W32 is out yet.

Other than these, nothing showed up.

I am wondering if I should restore the original HP program and reformat the drives. That is a 4 hour project that I am not looking forward to.

Thanks foryou help.

Glenda

Glenda, Sep 13, 2007
  16. Glenda

Glenda

For all of those that are interested, the problem of the delay in starting an html program for an eBook has been solved.

I installed a program made by Encore "Printshop Deluxe 21" and it took my Vista into never never land, not to ever return.

Restoring the computer was a 6 hour project. But after I restored it, the Delay was not present. I do not know what created the original problem that induced the delay, but I am glad it is fixed.

Thanks to all that offered help. I appreciate you being here.

Glenda

Glenda, Oct 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question