42" plasma as monitor?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by trustno1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. trustno1

trustno1

I'm soo mentally drained trying to figure this out! Please, can anyone help me out? My computer tower model is SR5703WM, and my living room tv is a Insignia 42" Plasma model # NS-42P650A11. I wana use my plasma as a monitor and I've gotten as far as knowing that I need a VGA/HDMI cable. My question is, will buying that cable allow me to achieve my goal or is there more to it? Thank u soo much.

trustno1, Jun 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. trustno1

clifford_cooley

If your TV and computer both have the same connector type, a cable would be all you need. If the connectors do not match, you would need a converter between them. If both your PC and TV have HDMI ports, you can safely ignore everything I say below, as you shouldn't have any issues with an HDMI cable.
    • VGA is an analog video signal
    • DVI is a digital video signal (depending on the port can also provide analog signaling)
    • HDMI is a digital video signal which includes a digital audio signal
    When connecting to a TV, HDMI is the preferred connection type.
    If you convert from DVI to HDMI, a small connector block is all you need but the audio signal will not be available.
    If you convert from VGA to DVI or HDMI, a converter box is required to convert the signal from analog to digital.

This is where it gets confusing. DVI is a digital port but it also contains analog signaling. There are connector blocks you can use to convert from DVI to VGA but you must connect to specific DVI connectors to get the analog signaling. DVI-D is strictly digital and will not provide VGA support without the use of a converter box.

• DVI-D (digital only, both single-link and dual-link)
    • DVI-A (analog only)
    • DVI-I (integrated – digital and analog)

Once you have the PC connected to your TV, there shouldn't be any issues. The PC provides a signal and the TV receives a signal. The only issues would be to make sure the PC and TV are correctly connected together.

clifford_cooley, Jun 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. trustno1

trustno1

Lots of info! My tower only has a (1) VGA output that connects to the VGA input on the 17" widescreen monitor that came with the tower all in one box. Next to the VGA input behind the 17" monitor is a female DVI port, (I have no idea if its an input or output). I stated the model number to my tower in case I sound like I don't have a clue.

trustno1, Jun 25, 2012
  4. trustno1

trustno1

I should apologize now, I pretty sure what u explained to me above is everything id need to know to get me through this, but Im still somewhat a noo-be with the computer.

trustno1, Jun 25, 2012
  5. trustno1

clifford_cooley

There is one thing I failed to mention. The PC can be configured to display on more than one monitor but you would need more than one port to do so. In order to do as you are suggesting, you may need to purchase a graphics card that will give you this capability. Even the cheapest cards available allows you to do this. In fact most motherboards now available on the market, allow you to use multiple monitors.

Once you have configured your PC to display on two monitors, you can have the displays duplicated or spanned. If you span across two displays you can display different things on both.

Both connections on the monitor are input connections.

6. trustno1

trustno1

Even one monitor at a time is really good enough for me. My main goal is to see if my 42" plasma is even capable of being my monitor. Here's what I'm thinking/guessing /assuming, my tower only has a (1) VGA output, my plasma has 2 HDMI inputs, guide shows a cpu to be connected to HDMI-1 input. So basically, tower out = VGA & plasma in = HDMI. So if I buy a new, 15ft cable with one end a male VGA and the other end a HDMI, will it work?

trustno1, Jun 25, 2012
  7. trustno1

clifford_cooley

You would still need a converter box to convert from VGA to HDMI. There is no such things as a VGA to HDMI cable. The converter box would convert the PC VGA signal to HDMI then a standard HDMI cable can be used.

BYTECC HM106 VGA + Audio to HDMI® Converter

It would be easier to purchase a graphics card then you would have two ports. One port would be HDMI, so you wouldn't need a converter box.

Desktop Graphics Cards - Assuming you have a PCIe card slot available in your PC.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  8. trustno1

trustno1

They DO make cables with one end VGA and the other end HDMI. But its probly useless without that video card/converter thing (like the lil plug I bought for like $3 with one end usb and the other end rca jacks (red,yellow, white) thinking Id be able to connect a vcr, a vhs-c camcorder, or a dvd player to my cpu).
    But hey, thanks for eeeeeeverything, the info, and ur time. Thank u.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    trustno1, Jun 25, 2012
  9. trustno1

clifford_cooley

I'm not suggesting I know it all, I could be mistaken.

Good luck with your quest. :)

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question