33 second to login

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dpruk, Oct 2, 2008.

1. dpruk

dpruk

Hi, I am running vista ultimate and am having trouble when logging in. When I boot the system it boots fine to the login in screen. When I put my password in it takes 33 seconds sitting at Welcome to get to the desktop. When it does get to the desktop all is fine. It also does this if I log out and back in again (just the login part) . If I lock the pc and then log back in it is straight in. Surley 33 seconds is too long. Any help apreciated. By the way this is a fresh install with the latest drivers

dpruk, Oct 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dpruk

WAW8

33 seconds is not a long time to login. We get complaints of it taking two to ten minutes!!

Check out the Tweaking forum for tips you can use that might be able to reduce the login time.

WAW8, Oct 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. dpruk

dpruk

thanks for your reply, is that time from turning pc on or just logging on, mines just logging on. How come it takes so long Xp didnt. Is there any tools to monitor logging on so I can see whats slowing logging on?

dpruk, Oct 3, 2008
  4. dpruk

WAW8

OK, did some testing on my own to replicate your problem. In my case, takes only three seconds from entering the password to getting the desktop -- but it takes nearly a full minute for all the startup stuff to finish loading.

If your delay is between password and desktop, it's either a failing hard drive, or some malware infection. In that interval, Vista is locating the desktop wallpaper, reading the desktop default settings, rendering the wallpaper, and the icons. Delays could be do to file system problems or malware. A CHKDSK will attempt to fix the first; a virus & spyware scan will attempt to fix the second.

If the delay is after the wallpaper appears, you could use MSCONFIG to disable all of your startup programs, and re-enable them one at a time until the slow login returns. At least that way, you'll know what application loading is slowing down the startup.

There uses to be a tool known as "bootviz" offered by MS, but they quit providing it -- probably because on some machines, it caused crashes.

WAW8, Oct 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question