2nd Office / 1 Modem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by billrigsby, Jun 15, 2015.

1. billrigsby

billrigsby

I have been tearing down the office to become a bedroom. It currently has my Century Link DSL Modem in it. The person moving into the office (bedroom) will need internet as will I in my new office.

If the single modem is left in its place for the new user, how can I get internet to the new office?

1) Do I need a second phone line and modem?

2) Is there a wireless box that will get me internet signal to a Ethernet connection on my PC?

3) Do I have to run an Ethernet cable from the existing modem to the new office?

Bill

billrigsby, Jun 15, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. billrigsby

whistling

Wireless broadband modem will not connect your PC to Ethernet, but assuming that you use Vista, there is a smoke-and-mirrors procedure as follows:
    From eBay: a $ 5 wireless adapter: one that is very small. You plug it in and ... nothing happens because the esteemed Vista has no drivers for 811.n toggle.
    Back to eBay, another $5 wireless adapter that is connected with an USB cable and has also an antenna - for maximum discomfort. It ensures a very poor reception BUT:
    it comes with a small installation disk that has the 811.n drivers. You pretend to install it, after which your small toggle will work and you can even fit a laptop in a bag with it.

whistling, Jul 9, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question