1.1 .NET Framework Required?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by walter.sergent, Feb 14, 2010.

1. walter.sergent

walter.sergent

I'm not a computer technician but I've read online that both1.1 & 3.5 .NET Framework applications are required on my Windows Vista (32-bit). A recent series of events leads me to believe that I only have 3.5 .NET Framework installed. Do I need 1.1 .NET Framework if 3.5 .NET Framework with SP1 is installed? I'm getting confusing information from Microsoft Support and I'm seeking some advice and guidance. Read on for more details as towhat happened.

I discovered that 1.1 .NET Framework was not properly updating on my computer. I tried a number of things that did not resolve the problem. I contacted Microsoft Support and they sent me a "clean up tool" that wouldremove specific or all versions of .NET Framework. The technician indicated that only 1.1 .NET Framework should be selected for clean up. I was also given some links to subsequently reinstall and update 1.1 .NET Framework. Well, I inadvertently launched the cleanup program before I could make the specific selection for 1.1 versionand all versions of .NET Framework were removed.

I was able to reinstall the 3.5 .NET Framework SP1.Automaticupdates at this point are all up to date and there are no update errors any longer. I contacted Microsoft Support back and the technicianinformed me that if the 1.1 .NET Framework was not installed thatautomatic updates would havedone so...(really?) However, when I look at the list ofinstalled programs I see only what looks like an empty folder for 1.1.NET Framework. I say "empty" because the Microsoft Corporation name is missing as the publisher and there is no file size indicated.Also, on the update history, there is no entry that the1.1 .NET Framework reinstalled. This leads me to believe1.1 .NET Framework is not installed.

I am hoping someone can offer some insight and advice on my situation. Thanks.

walter.sergent, Feb 14, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. walter.sergent

WAW8

In the MS world, each version of .NET is an upgrade over the previous, so there's no logical reason why you should need more than one version.

However, that's not to prevent some lazy vendor from writing a product that used a specific version of a system routine that was present in an older .NET library. If that's the case, you should contact the vendor and see if they have a newer version.

I'm running only version 3.5.1 of .NET and have not encountered any problems at all that have needed an older version.

WAW8, Feb 15, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question