0xc0000034 after trying to load Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by volvodr66, Jul 31, 2018.

1. volvodr66

volvodr66

I have an old desktop with Windows Vista that I’m trying to get some pictures and various files off of using a 4 Tetrabyte portable hard drive. Unfortunately, the drive is formated exFat which Vista cannot read without Service Pack 1, which this PC does not have. I tried to update Service Pack 1 but keep running into various errors. I used the available tools to prepare for the installation of Service Pack 1 but still receive errors. Somehow, I eventually got to the point where the PC will not boot and I now have error 0xc0000034 (Boot Configuration Data File missing some required information). At this point I just need to get the thing to boot back into Windows. I do not have any boot cd’s and do not know where to download one but I can still boot up into repair via option f8. I went to the comand prompt and tried bootrec.exe/fixMBR which finished successfully. I then tried bootrec.exe/fixBoot which was also successful. The last thing I tried was bootrec.exe/rebuildBCD which ended in error, “no valid Windows installation found”. I still have access to the command prompt and I know the Windows files are there but I don’t know what I’m looking for. Is there any way I can confirm the Windows files are there by manually looking for them? If so, how would I get rebuildBCD to find them. They must still be there, I can’t imagine they’ve been deleted. I downloaded what I think is a bootable Vista recovery cd but I can’t get the PC to boot from it. UPDATE: Using f8 and the repair option, from a prompt I tried this; I typed, “diskpart”, then, “select disk 0”, then, “list partition”. Then I typed, “select partition 0”. That was the partition with the Vista installation. After I typed, “active”, then ‘exit”. Then from the prompt I typed,” bootrec.exe/rebuildBCD”. It found a Windows installation so I figured I was getting somewhere. The problem is when I rebooted, I got a splash screen for Windows XP? Possibly a previous installation that was upgraded to Vista? That’s as far as it went. Only a blank screen after the XP splash screen, no further progress. I can still get into the repair option using f8 but that’s it. (I already tried to repair the installation and the other options in that menu). At this point I think my only option is to find a Vista boot/installation disk and do a re-install/repair. If I’m correct, that should correct the no-boot situation and still preserve my personal files. Am I correct in that line of thinking? Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you may be able to give.

volvodr66, Jul 31, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. volvodr66

windowsvistasupport

i will be happy to help you tell me what you are trying to do?

windowsvistasupport, Aug 8, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question