Windows Vista Forums

Windows 7 Milestone 1 Leaked

16th June 2008, 08:42 AM
For anyone who has been living under a rock recently, a quick rundown of some of the tweaks in this build:

<UL><LI>Slightly refined Aero theme <LI>Sidebar and desktop more tightly integrated <LI>'Display' option on desktop right click menu <LI>Search results in Start Menu fill the entire thing, as opposed to just the left hand pane <LI>A bootscreen (Wow) <LI>Button to pin any of your frequently used programs to the Start Menu <LI>New system tray design <LI>New version of Windows Media Player (The precursor to WMP12) <LI>...and probably a bunch more I forgot...</LI>[/list]

It's still Vista, but with some bits and bobs added. But, definetly worth a download for the curious, or the collectors, or...well anyone really.

Its currently available on torrent sites and is roughly 2.9 GB's

Some screenshots: http://history.winusers.de/Betas/7/6519.htmlnot much visual has changed.

TheTechArea.com

16th June 2008, 08:46 AM
The news is now that Windows 7 will only go to Milestone 3...meaning it won't be a full complete release but rather something like a Vista R2.

16th June 2008, 09:42 AM
Are you going to install jason?

I don't think i'll bother myself - theres nothing really new in it - I fail to see what MS want people to test.

I'm surprised at this Windows 7 - It was supposed to be a leap from XP like XP was to Win 98. Just seems like vista RC2 like you said.

16th June 2008, 03:07 PM
I take it you guys mean R2 (as in Release 2, as seen in Server 2003 R2) and not RC2 (as in Release CANDIDATE 2, meaning a late in development but not yet finished product).

Its been known for a little while now that Windows 7 will run off the same kernel as Vista, with upgrades along the way as it heads towards RTM. It is slated to run on the exact same hardware specs as Vista, etc.

MS's NT technology is 20 years in the making, i dont see them dumping it too soon. Everything they do will probably be some iteration of NT for some time to come.

17th June 2008, 03:53 PM
Dunno bout Jason but I meant SP2 rather than RC2 - I get confused sometimes :hehe:

When is this brand new object oriented OS which is being built from the ground up by MS going to come out? I'm sure that was going to be called windows 7! They've been on about it since before XP was coming out weren't they? Havent heard much about it for a while...

Looks like they are pushing it back AGAIN. It was supposed to follow XP, then to follow Vista (Vista being an interim). Now to follow windows 7? I fail to see where all this money that is being poured into development is going

23rd June 2008, 02:28 PM
Quote:
kingofnexus (6/17/2008)Dunno bout Jason but I meant SP2 rather than R2 - I get confused sometimes :hehe:

When is this brand new object oriented OS which is being built from the ground up by MS going to come out? I'm sure that was going to be called windows 7! They've been on about it since before XP was coming out weren't they? Havent heard much about it for a while...

Looks like they are pushing it back AGAIN. It was supposed to follow XP, then to follow Vista (Vista being an interim). Now to follow windows 7? I fail to see where all this money that is being poured into development is going

I won't be installing it since it offers little benefit...also I dont think MS intended for people to test it which is why it was leaked and probably illegal to test out/download. Windows 7 is just a codename so who knows what they are really doing. People are speculating that the current windows 7 will be an RC2 for Vista just like Server 2003.