Windows Vista Forums

Vista wont boot from CD with HD2900XT installed. Also drivers cause BSOD

24th August 2007, 12:38 PM
Hi, I have a few problems with booting up the computer. Not sure if its a problem with vista or my video card, so hopefully I can get a solution either here or thru ATI support (although they suck at support).

1. With the 2900XT plugged in (only the card, no drivers installed, fresh install of vista), my computer will not detect the boot sequence (When I put my vista install DVD in, it does not boot and goes directly to the HDD. (Works with my old x1950pro) I tested this with the winXP cd and it still will not boot. But I created an Acronis TrueImage 10 boot disk and that worked...

2. The Catalyst drivers makes vista unbootable. I tried 7.8 and the CD that came with the card. All will cause a BSOD that requires me too boot into safe mode. My friend got the exact same card and OS but it worked for him... *scratches head*

Here is my system:

Core 2 Quad Q6600

MSI P965 Platinum mobo

Patriot eXtreme 2GB DDR2 800

OCZ 700W GameXstream PSU

2x Seagate Barracuda SATA2 HDD

2x Optical drives

Anyone heard of anything like this before?