Windows Vista Forums

Vista updates w/Nividia problems

18th November 2007, 11:41 AM
Hello everyone,

New user here, so I'm hoping someone with much more expertise than I can help. HP customer service hasn't been able too in 5 attempts.

Here's my problem: I'm running Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop.

I was prompted to download the latest updates a few days ago and one of the updates was an option upgrade to Nvidia Display. Once I downloaded these updates, my computer hasn't been the same.

My display is very fuzzy and hard to read, not to mention my icons are much much larger. I called HP, whom first told me to just do a system restore to the prior date. I did this and my computer indeed worked fine. For one day. At this point, all of the troubles started again when I started my computer up.

I again called HP, who instructed me to uninstall the nvidia driver and reinstall. I did this, twice...to no avail. It was at that point when I was in my device manager under "Display Adapters" that there is a yellow warning icon?? signaling trouble on the Nvidia GeForce GO 6150 that is installed. I click on this and the following message occurs:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

Could someone please advise me of my next move? Thanks in advance for any help.

David in Raleigh

19th November 2007, 12:43 AM
It looks like after you restored, Vista just reupdated and you got the problem again. In windows update go to change settings and set it to: Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. Now go see if you can do that restore again back to that same point. If that is successful go back AGAIN and repeat the step in Windows update since it may have changed with the system restore. Now if Vista tries to update you it will show you the files first and you can skip over the suspicious Nvidia ones.

19th November 2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the reply faust. Unfortunately, that was my setting. I screwed up by downloading the optional update in the first place. Any other suggestions?

19th November 2007, 10:29 AM
Switch auto update off, only set it to inform you of updates and for you to select those to download, with out going into the stories about it, I have several times on this board, windows driver updates for some reason cause nothing but trouble, just dont ever use them only download from the actual device makers site like Nvidia.com.

Looks like you need to revert to an earlier driver or restore to earlier again.

19th November 2007, 10:52 AM
I meant restore your system to a point before the "bad" update. I'm not sure you understand that this restore brings back your system files to the way they were when the restore point was created. Therefore if you have a point that was before the "bad" update, that should probably cure you. If you don't have that restore point available and you know which update messed you up then go to control panel/programs and features and choose "view installed updates." If you see the one you suspect is causing you trouble you can select "uninstall a program." If you happen to uninstall the wrong one or something you should be able to replace it again with the Vista update.