Windows Vista Forums

Vista prompts to install Canon MF5770 printer driver each time it boots up

24th August 2007, 09:21 PM
At first the vista driver for this printer worked fine. The one day, out of the blue the printer stopped working. At first I thought the printer had malfunctioned and took it to the shop for repairs. The shop said everything was okay.

I took the printer home and Vista did the normal hardware check and prompted me to install the Canon drivers. If I do not install the drivers, the printer won't work and I can see a problem in Device Manager. If I do install the drivers the printer works fine. It sucks reinstalling the drivers everytime the computer boots up.

A consultant that hates Vista told me I have to reformat the hard drive - I hope not....

25th August 2007, 03:19 AM
Can you use a different copy of the drivers ? it sounds like there is corruption occuring during the install, it's also possible for other software to interfere with the correct enumeration of some drivers so it's always a good idea to turn off anyything that's actively running, including your antivirus software which can often prevent correct driver installation. I think it very unlikely you need to format and reinstall to cure the problem it would serve no purpose.

26th August 2007, 12:20 AM
Dumb question - how do I shut off Norton Antivirus? When I right-click Norton Protection Center, shutting it off is not an option (that I can find).

thanks, Mike

26th August 2007, 05:12 AM
Norton don't disable it, remove every last vestige of it from your system, you'll have far fewer problems without it, even just doing so can resolve many a strange problem on PC's running all types of OS.

27th August 2007, 01:37 AM
Okay, I removed Norton. I still get the same driver installation prompt when the computer boots up. What can I try next to resolve this?

Also, what antivirus software do you recommend?

27th August 2007, 06:32 AM
Personally I would nominate AVG Anti-Virus

http://free.grisoft.com/

Free and much much better then Norton *shudders*

31st August 2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you.

Back to my original question, how do I get my computer to install the MF5770 driver and keep it working? Currently, I have to reinstall it everytime the computer boots up. If I do not install the driver when booting up, the printer won't work. If I install the driver, the printer works fine.

It was not like this from the beginning. Originally the computer worked fine, then one day the printer stopped working in the middle of a computing session. Now I have this driver install problem.

thanks, Mike