Windows Vista Forums

TORRENT/online games issues (not for illegal activity)

15th March 2008, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

Hopefully you can help me out with a problem that has been bugging me. Everything with my Vista/internet has been fine, except for one major issue. Everytime I use a Torrent based client/or connect to a online game I get the BSOD then windows reloads.

I use p2p programmes such as Limewire and MiRc, but it's only the torrent and online games where the problems appear. From the BSOD I got no code (from what I can read in the split secound its on screen) only IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, everything works fine after the reboot -- until I reopen the Torrent programme or the online game. The strangest part is there is no set time scale as to when the system would reboot -- it could be 5mins or anything upto an hour.

I'm not a computer expert... but I have checked all the things that I think it could ahve been... such as programme based, or firewall based... but still nothing.

any help will be appreciated... as this is really puzzling to me. I need to use torrents to transfer large files (work based) so really do need to get this fixed.

CK

Super Moderator

16th March 2008, 09:45 AM
All the other Torrent-related questions are in the Networking forum -- I'll be moving this post there.

Did you acquire the game(s) through Torrent downloads, too? If so, I would remove the Torrent client you have and look for a different one. Do a search with Torrent in the title. You will find posts of folks who have used various different clients.

18th March 2008, 07:47 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I'd drop it in here.

The games aren't from the torrent client. It's most games that connect via the internet to play... Halo, Castle Wolfinstien(sp), anything that requires the use of an internet connection to play other people.

The strange thing about the torrent is that p2p works on some things such as Limewire (well, only after McAfee gets disabled while it loads), and irc.

I will use the search function for torrents... but I didn't really find anything that heped with my problem last time.

One last thing, my PC is pretty new, I've only had it a year from Dell.

C.K