Virtualization eating up disk space

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by joekelly, Mar 3, 2007.

1. joekelly

joekelly

Upgraded to Vista Ultimate two weeks ago.

Apart from the extra disk space required by Vista (no problem with that) I noticed that a huge amount of my free disk space was being eaten up.

I ran a disk space manager and it showed that all of "my documents" (xp terminology)were duplicated in a folder in the following path:-

C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\c\users\joe\... etc

I understand the benefits of the Vista Virtual Store but this effect is undocumented and I couldn't find any hits on "virtualized".

I copied all of "my documents" (xp term) off my computer and deleted my "Documents", "Music" and "Pictures" from Vista and from the "virtualized" folder. I then re-created these folders and copied the files back in. Eureka! I regained 20GB of missing disk space.

Question 1:
    The problem is why did this happen in the first place. These are files that I want to change on a regular basis and I don't want Vista trying to protect my own files from normal use. It creates all sorts of problems with version control - especialy when I didn't know that it was going to happen.

Question 2:
    Can I turn on/off this "virtualization" feature on selected files / folders. It still seems that Vista is slowly eating away at my disk space and I want to get control back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

joekelly, Mar 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. joekelly

BermudaLee

Hmm.

I too have a "D" drive for "My Documents" as was. I didn't get the virtualisation happen though. Did you move the "path" for documents, pictures, downloads etc by going start, right click on documents, left click on location, change the location to the real place you have "documents".

I went through this, so I ended up with a D: drive with [username] and then a series of folders contacts, documents etc each of which I'd remapped.

This way the [username] option in the start menu looks at the C: location, and then on to the D: location, popping you to the right place

No virtualisation, but two curious anomalies:

1) I cannot get rid of the "contacts" folder in the C: drive, I delete it, it comes back

2) I cannot "hide" users' files from one another. So, on my D: drive the "Lee" folder can be accessed freely by even a guest account. This is an irritation, as it somewhat defeats the object of users being able to keep their documents away from other non-admin users. I have a lot of guests come to stay here, all of whom use this PC for checking hotmail and things, via a separate limited account. Under XP that was fine, under Vista they can see my documents, and root around in my bank statements I have on excel, my e-mail, etc. Not that they would, but it would be good if somehow access control could be better.

Not sure if that helps or not, sorry.

BermudaLee, Mar 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements