Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by lasix1, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lasix1

lasix1

[SOLVED] Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

I'm running Vista Home Premium on a one-year-old HP Pavilion desktop. 2G of Ram, 250G Hard drive. It randomly locks up.Thescreen goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot right click and get any anything to happen. When I hit ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, nothing happens for several minutes and then I get (sometimes) an error message Titled:

Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

With a dialog message of:

Failure - Security Options

At that point the only remedy is a hard shutdown. This happens sometimes 2-3 times a day. When it reboots the incident does not appear in the event log. Oh yes, when this happens, the hard drive tends to wheeze and whirr likes its having a heart attack.

There are references to this on the internet, and I saw one on the Vista 64 forum, but I have yet to see any real causes or solutions advanced. One person indicated he had gotten rid of the problem by putting in a new hard drive, but this seems drastic to me since there is no other evidence that the hard drive is bad.

If anyone has an answer to this, I will be very grateful.

lasix1, Jan 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. lasix1

Portouw

RE: [SOLVED] Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

I started having the same problem yesterday. I originally thought it was a virus or trojan, but scans have turned up nothing. Additionally, program starts are very slow or not at all with no errors produced. Most programs won't launch, and no errors are returned. Those that do start take minutes. I see references to this in other forums, but no definitive solutions.

-Larry

Portouw, Jan 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. lasix1

Portouw

RE: [SOLVED] Error message: "Login process has failed to create the security options dialog"

Ok, here's how I fixed it: I backed my machine out to a previous restore point. I think the problem was caused by a Symantec internet security patch. I uninstalled it all (it came on the machine) and went to another solution. Works much better. Also had some indications that it might have been a corrupted sidebar applet, but I was eventually able to get the sidebar to stop trying to load, with no improvement.

You can gain insight into what's happening by F8'ing into the boot menu and doing a logged boot. Let it run for a while- 20-30 minutes, and then look at the file ntboot.log in C:/windows. About 1/3 of the drivers were failing to load on my box. Prior to figuring this out, I was able to get a clean shut down and get some programs working by shutting it down before it complete loading everything after the boot.

-Larry P

Arizona

Portouw, Jan 13, 2008
  4. lasix1

WAW8

Are you running Windows Defender? If so, have you tried disabling that to see if it improves the situation? Asking because I keep seeing more postings on Windows Defender being involved in wierd lockup problems.

WAW8, Jan 14, 2008
  5. lasix1

lasix1

I did try that without success. I also tried Larry's solution which involved rolling the restore point back to a time before it started doing it. That didn't work either---although I may not have rolled it back far enough--that's my next step. McAfee suggested that I uninstall and reinstall their anti-virus suite, so I'm going to try that too. I'll let you all know if any of this works. it's been very frustrating. I do appreciate your replies and efforts to help. best wishes--chuck

lasix1, Jan 14, 2008
  6. lasix1

Goffee

I picked up this problem having installed AVG and ThreatFire, uninstalling them both (at the same time so I didn't identify the culprit) from safe mode was the only the thing that fixed it for me, after much rebooting and other juggling startup apps. So, judging by the other posts its some sort of security issue with the software.

Goffee, Jan 20, 2008
  7. lasix1

Dumhead

I'm having this problem too. I tried doing a system restore back to where i was certain this problem was not occurring. But that didn't help. I am running Norton Internet Security 2007. I'm going to try removing that next. Anyone else have any other solutions?

Dumhead, Jan 24, 2008
  8. lasix1

WAW8

Saw some info on this where Western Digital drives were failing and causing this problem. They downloaded and ran S.M.A.R.T. utilities from WD, discovered the problem, replaced the drive -- and the problem vanished.

Also saw some posts claiming this was fixed by removing AVG and another post where the person claimed it was Symantec LiveUpdate causing the problem.

Since you're using NIS, perhaps the last problem is the one of interest.

WAW8, Jan 24, 2008
  9. lasix1

Grim Tuesday

I too have this problem, but it started after I installed Threatfire. I'm going to try uninstalling it now- keep you guys posted.

Edit: Uninstalling solved the problem immediatlly! YAY

Grim Tuesday, Jan 27, 2008
  10. lasix1

Blitzkev

I have the same problem, but nothing else seems to fit.

I turned my computer off last night (didn't install anything new, or make any changes), and this morning it froze when I tried putting my password in. I restarted my computer and then nothing was showing on the screen, even the bios. So I checked all the internal computer components and everything was running fine, I reset the bios via removing the battery and the my computer started up again. I was able to log in, (albeit 3-4 times slower) and then encountered the problems people have been facing. Every 30 seconds a program will lag, and then say (not responding) and then after a minute or so will go back to working normally. Some programs will not even open. I tried defragmenting my hd first, but after 4 hours that too froze. After it freezing and a few more restarts, I can now only start my computer up in safe mode. I tried a "sfc /scannow" in cmd and that finished and said it had found and corrected errors in system files, after that I attempted to do a system restore, but that got stuck in the initialization phase. I'm now trying to do a system restore off my vista disk, and it's being extremely slow, but hopefully it will work.

my computer is a custom build tower:

- 2gb ram

- 2.8 ghz pentium d

- nvidia 8600 gts

- vista hd - WD 250gb

- 2nd hd - 320gb Seagate

- Asus p5n-sli mobo

Blitzkev, Feb 11, 2008
  11. lasix1

WAW8

Encountered much the same problems on a custom built machine. Turned out it was a brand new Antec power supply that was failing. Sometimes the machine would not boot. Sometimes it would bluescreen. Sometimes it would slow to a crawl.

Replaced the PSU, no problems since.

Afterward, checked the ASUS forum (that's my mobo) and found out that this was a common problems with Antec PSUs.

WAW8, Feb 11, 2008
  12. lasix1

NstProg

I had the same lockup problem. Disabling Windows Defender fixed the problem.

NstProg, Feb 17, 2008
  13. lasix1

paramenace

I had the same issue. Knock on wood, but i solved it by uninstalling Symantec Internet Security, as well as a bunch of other things i should not have uninstsalled, but the culprit was the Symantec. I've had so many issues with Symantec NIS over the years, i'm not sure why i continue to be dumb enough to use it. Best wishes to all with dealing with this error. Major frustration!

***EDIT****

The problem has recurred, although in a slightly different manner. After hours of analysis, I now know that my system is infected with a virus, one that disquises itself very well and freezes the system anytime any antivirus and adware software is running

paramenace, Feb 22, 2008
  14. lasix1

PV

Computer is sluggish ... and get error message like many posting here, "Logon process has failed .... dialog".

I have an HP Pavilion and just upgraded RAM to 2 GB.

Currently dumping my CA virus to see if that solves the problem.

Anyone have a solution?

PV, May 7, 2008
  15. lasix1

captjackny

I had same problem in spadesand tried many things. checked all disks and memory and started to delete processes and programs. my cpu was running 55% with no apps running. went to minimum startup processes. finally solved the problem by uninstalling my antivirus program, which was CA Internet security suite ver 2007. I was only using the anti virus piece of this suite but apparently it somehow was causing the problem.

captjackny, May 12, 2008
  16. lasix1

beachgal

My probs were same on new Acer laptop with pre-installed Vista and Windows Defender. I was at point thinking like others that it was my hard drive. But, after a week and reading posts from people like you willing to share info, my Acer is now running smoothly! You cannot uninstall Windows Defender but, I turned it off completely and also found I had a corrupted sidebar which I disabled. Hard to believe these were the culprits! Kept running in safe mode and restoring and was ready to pull my hair out!! Windows Defender had done an automatic update on 5-6-08 and thats when my trouble began. Thanks again for posting and helping resolve my probs.....:)

beachgal, May 16, 2008
  17. lasix1

WAW8

No, thank YOU for getting back to us. After all, that's what we're here for --to help folks solve their Vista problems.

WAW8, May 16, 2008
  18. lasix1

spartacus

I have been having this problem since installing SP1 and found this website while looking for solution, although I don't think SP1 is culprit.

I recently installed AVG 8. A little box came up and said AVG 8 would not run well with other virus software installed.

I would suggest a poll that includes Threatfire, AVG 8, Defender, Win Patrol (all currently on my HP8300 desktop) and any other security software to see if one or two items come up as the culprit.

I am removing Threatfire first to see if that helps. Otherwise I am using sleep mode to shut down until this problem is solved.

spartacus, May 28, 2008
  19. lasix1

spartacus

Ok, I just uninstalled Threatfire and went thru the required "restart" process and was able to logon without getting the error messag (without incident).

I am thinking now that previously, Threatfire worked fine before I installed AVG 8, in fact I have had it for at least 6 months and it worked with the previous AVG version 7.5.524. I also had Superantispyware, spyware blaster, defender, spybot and winpatrol installed with the AVG 7.5., most of which I uninstalled to get AVG 8 to work.

So, is the real culprit AVG 8? Anyone have a suggestion for an Antivirus that will work with all of the above? Thank you

spartacus, May 28, 2008
  20. lasix1

kingofnexus

I recommend Avast! antivirus. Its free like AVG, but unlike AVG i've never had any issues with it.

Link: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

kingofnexus, May 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements