Disk Cleanup...What Files Can Be Safely Deleted?

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Fred44, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Fred44

Fred44

I was just doing a disk cleanup in Vista Home Premium and noticed that many of the boxes are not ticked. I was wondering what is best to leave alone. I know that you can delete the Hibernation File cleaner, but then cannot use that option. Since I never use the Hybrid Seep or Hibernation (or whatever it's called) I was wondering if it would be OK to delete that file. It's almost 3 GB and would free up a lot of space. I just turn my computer on in the morning and have the screen saver set to kick in after 10 minutes, but never on the sleep setting. Also the other files (Downloadable Program Files, temp. Internet files, Setup Log files, thumbnails, Per User Windows error Reporting, etc.)....Which of these can be deleted and which should be left alone? I read in the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Vista, that you shouldn't delete your Temp. Internet files too often as it would slow down your web browsing. BTW, has anyone else seen this book by Koroush Ghazi? It was recommended by someone on one of the forums and I've used it to set up Media Player and a few other things. It has a lot of suggestions for tweaking IE, which I did , but have since done a system recovery so everything's back to default...but I digress.. any suggestions on Disk Cleanup?

Fred

Fred44, Apr 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. WAW8

WAW8

If you don't use sleep or hibernation, deleting the hibernation file will reclaim a lot of disk space. Also, if you're not regularly reporting errors to MS (I've never seen this do any good), you can delete those, too.

WAW8, Apr 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. rockin42nite

rockin42nite

Thank you for this information. i don't use hybernation, but i didn't want to delete it because I wasn't sure. I'm so glad I'm on here - I'm learning so much. Thank you!

rockin42nite, Jul 9, 2009
  4. WAW8

WAW8

Glad we could be of help. BTW, be sure to disable hibernation, otherwise, Vista will simply recreate the hibernation file the next time you boot.

WAW8, Jul 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements