Destination Folder Access Denied

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by bj33790, Mar 26, 2007.

1. bj33790

bj33790

Hi, I have searched the internet for hours trying to find a solution to this....anyone here know...please!!

I am running Vista Ultimate on one PC and XP Pro SP2 on another. I am the only user and have full admin rights on both (I checked) They are connected by a wired home network. I can see and browse the XP PC from the Vista PC, install programs from the XP PC onto the Vista PC - no problem BUT.... when I am using the Vista PC and try to copy a file across from the XP PC I can see the file appear in the Vista folder (using drag & drop) but then I get the dreaded "Destination Folder Acess Denied....You need permission toperform this action" you can only click 'RETRY.'or 'CANCEL'....of course RETRY just repeats the errorwindow and CANCel removes the file that you have dropped into the destination folder. As I am the owner with full rights over the folder, does anyone know what this message means and how to set whatever 'permission' is required?

thanks in hopeful anticipation.....

bj33790, Mar 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. bj33790

cyclic

It sounds like that's not the case, I know you think it should be but the permissions thing between XP and Vista or visa versa is not as clear cut as it appears, being logged in as Admin on one system doesn't automatically make the files on the other system fully available. You can't do the full share thing with the default 'simple shares' that Vista defaults to.

You need to either create a login for the other machine so that the account it's opening is also an admin status with advanced permissions

or take ownership of all the files on the Network, allowing you to do whatever you like.

THISshould put you on the right track.

cyclic, Mar 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. bj33790

bj33790

Hi, Many thank for your reply

I checked the ownership of files on the Xp PC and my rights, and have full ownership and rights of the folder and documents there as well as on the Vista PC.

I tried copying the file from the Xp PC to a USB 'zip key' and then plugged the 'USB Zip key' into the Vista PC and it lets me copy the file from this to any folder I want on the Vista PC. ( I guess thats one way to do it but slow and tedious) ............so it is something to do with copying a file across the network, but surely we all want to that at some time....but it somehow needs more permission...do I have to email Bill Gates for permission to copy my file from the two computers on my network that I own and am the only user and administrator or what?...it doesnt make sense to have such high security that you can't copy files from one PC to another as an administrator.....is this really a security bug in Vista?

bj33790, Mar 27, 2007
  4. bj33790

bj33790

Sorry I forgot to mention, the error says "Destination Folder Access Denied" so it is Vista denying accessto my Vista folder for writing to it, not Xp not allowing me to access a file there....surely others are experiencing the same problems?

bj33790, Mar 27, 2007
  5. bj33790

bj33790

Comeon guys and girls, there must be someone bright out there that has solved this problem....please share it with me before I go totally mad...

bj33790, Mar 28, 2007
  6. bj33790

labradore

I have almost exactly the same problem. I have an XP "fileserver" at work. It has various shared directories and user accounts. Most shared directories have full control permissions for any authenticated user (i.e. correct username/password).

I log into Vista with my username and the local vista password. Then I browse to the fileserver. To connect I enter the username/password pair. It connects and lets me see the files located on the server. I'm able to create new files, write changes to files, delete files and even read files for opening in many applications (Acrobat Reader and Notepad both read their respective .pdf and .txt files from the share directories on the server). However, if I want to copy files from any share directory on the server over the network to ANY local folder on the vista machine I get the INFURIATING "Destination Folder Access Denied" message. It always waits until the END of the filecopy operation to tell me. Never at the beginning. The first time I found this out was after copying a 1.8GB file from the fileserver to the vista machine.

Yes, I have admin privs on the vista machine. I have even run explorer with elevated privs just to try to make sure.. Nothing works. No file copying FROM the network shares!!!

Ugg. Vista is going to get discarded if I can't find a fix for this crap.

labradore, Mar 30, 2007
  7. bj33790

bj33790

Hi Labradore, yes this is exactly the problem I have, I have tried everything I can think of to give me permission tocopy filesto my own folders from across the network, even giving myself full rights of the whole of the C: drive but with no success. I cant believe that no one knows the solution, lots of people must be trying to copy files around a network so it must work! GRRRrrrrrr.

bj33790, Mar 30, 2007
  8. bj33790

SmalltimeCTO

I also have the "Destination Folder Access Denied" problem. In my case, it occurs in the process of copying files from a Windows XP Professional system to a Vista system, across a home wired network. It appears to occur specifically in attempts to copy files with certain types, including .pdf. A workaround almost as inconvenient as using a flash memory card to transfer the files is placing them in a .zip archive and transferring that. I don't see how this can't be a Vista bug: if the message really means that the problem is with access to the desination folder, then Windows has no business transferring all the other files into that same folder.

SmalltimeCTO, Apr 5, 2007
  9. bj33790

Alan Cobb

Hi All,

Here is the answer (at least it was for me and I expect for most of you also).

First, this is a confusion that happens with XP as well as Vista. Second you don't need to be connected to a network to observe this problem. From Windows Explorer on Vista any shared folders will appear in two places: A) Under "Computer" and B) Under "Network" and the subentry for your machine. You should be able to reproduce the kind of problems described in this thread when you try to access the shared folder under "Network". For example, you may be prevented from creating a new file in the shared folder under "Network", but be able to create the file as expected when you do itin the same folder under "Computer".

So what's causing this? The answer isthat there are TWO sets of permissions involved: "NTFS permissions" and "sharing permissions". The folks in this thread are probably getting the "NTFS permissions" set right, but not the "sharing permissions". These are likeinner and outer doors on your home. The inner door (NTFS permissions) may be wide open, but until the outer door (sharing permissions) is also open you can't get in.

To get to both groups of settings for Vista, right click on the folder you are trying unsuccessfully to share and select properties. You should see tabs for both "Sharing" and "Security". Select the "Sharing" tab and press the "Advanced Sharing..." button. Press the "Permissions" button. You should see a list of users hopefully including yourself. What sharing permissions do you have? In my case I had "read" permission but not "change" or "full control". Once I checked those boxes I was able to copy files to the shared folder. Note again that these are the sharing permissions (the "outer door"). I had already given myself full permissions on the "Security" tab (these are the NTFS permissions or the "inner door") and even taken ownership on the "Security" tab, but that wasn't enough.

Couldthe Windows UI be improved to reduce the confusion about these two sets of permissions? Probably, but since the same unclarity was there in XP (and I guess even before) I won't hold my breath :).

Did this fix the problem for any of you?

See also:
    http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/network/0,39044847,39049730-1,00.htm

Alan

Alan Cobb, Apr 6, 2007
  10. bj33790

imujval

imujval, Apr 6, 2007
  11. bj33790

ragz

hi,

I have read your query.......... i had the same problem while trying to delete a particular font from the C:\windows\fonts\ folder. i found this great link...

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=499870

in this link browse down and you will find a link Takeown.zip under the topic "Take Ownership Context Menu Item". Follow these steps....

1)Click on the link TakeOwn.zip

2)It asks for the location to save

3)Save it on the desktop

4)Extract it into a folder for ex: "TakeOwn"

5)you will find a registry file in that folder

6)Click on it

7)Windows will ask you if you want to continue....

8)Click on "YES"

9) Now try to do what you have done before

I am Quite hopeful that this will help.......... bye.....

ragz, Jun 1, 2007
  12. bj33790

Moyce

If you are running VirusScan 8.5 on the target computer make sure you uncheck the blocking of"prevent creation of remote autorun files" in the Access Control panel in the target computer. That should take care of your problem. VirusScan 8.5 by default blocks other computers from droping autorun.inf files in your system.

--

Moyce
    Alaska, USA

Moyce, Sep 11, 2007
  13. bj33790

Wildfire2797

Here is a possible solution to the problems here. One of the most irritating things of Vista is "User Account Control". I have had to disable this on different clients due to the fact that it interferes with basic operations.

Launch Control Panel, User Accounts area, click the "Turn on or off user account control". Disable it, then retry your operation. I have a feeling it may work. You will need to reboot after making the change. You can always put it back when done if you want to. I however, get along just fine without it. Let me know if it works so I can update my KB with this info.

Wildfire2797, Sep 17, 2007
  14. bj33790

MdPc

I had this problem for a week and finally figured it out after reconfiguring firewalls, network settings and trial and error. The cuase of the dreaded error message "Destination Folder Access Denied"was the fact that the files on the XP system (laptop) were MS NTFS encrypted. Evidentally, even though XP will remove the encryption on files that it transfers off the system, Vista can not request a file off the XP system and remove the files encrytion. I haven't searched Microsoft to see if there is a fix for this.

MdPc, Oct 4, 2007
  15. bj33790

wekebu

Same problem here: Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action. XP Home on a Desktop, Vista Home Premium on a new laptop. What doesn't make sense to me is, I'm copying .jpg files from the XP to the Vista over my network. Some files will copy, some will not. Some within the same folder will copy, while others will not. All taken on my camera.

I have had no trouble copying over any documents (.doc, .docx, .txt, .xls, .xlsx).

I'm admin on Vista. I don't login on the XP. I'm very, very new to networking.

wekebu, Oct 10, 2007
  16. bj33790

Jason

Do you get the same result w/ a cut/copy or delete?

Jason, Oct 11, 2007
  17. bj33790

TrevorD

Ok,

I signed up just to post the solution for everybody. I was in the same boat yesterday but searching everywhere, reading aboutall the security and rights vista needs, I figured out that vista does not have simple file sharing and is not compatible with it on xp either. Soooo, I disabled simple file sharing on my xp pro computer and gave everyone rights to my e drive. I can drag and drop all I want now fromanywhere in the e drive tovista. You don't have to make the same users and passwords on the computers, nothing.

I bet this will help alot of people! I looked everywhere to find no solution of the sort.

Peace!

TrevorD, Oct 12, 2007
  18. bj33790

gaj90027

Just signed up to post my solution to the problem since my situation was a little different.

Old pc with xp home just died so I bought a new pc with vista home premium. I pulled the old hard drive from the xp machine dropped it in a hard drive enclosure and hooked it up by usb to the new vista machine. First attempts to copy any files at all to the new machine were all blocked until I read somewhere about taking ownership of the new files/folders. After taking ownership of all the files and folders that I needed to copy to the new machine there were still about 30 random files from random folders that would not copy over no matter how many times I tried. I finally figured out the solution for my problem by hours of trial and error.

Right click the file - choose properties - security tab - advanced - then on the permissions tab choose edit then uncheck the box that says "include inheritable permissions..." - in the dialog box that pops up next click copy - then back on the permissions tab click apply - now recheck the box that says "include inheritable permissions..." and click apply again - your name should now show up in the permissions tab as having full control - click apply again - then ok, ok, ok - you should now be able to copy those stubborn files.

My stubborn files included 1 avi file in a folder of 9 avi's, 2 mp3's in a folder of 10 mp3's, 5 pdf's in a folder of dozens of pdf's, several zip files and a bunch of random jpg files.

Hope this helps.

gaj90027, Oct 12, 2007
  19. bj33790

TechG1rl

Worked like a charm!! Thanks so much for your post gaj90027.

The problem I had to solve was just copying a file from the E drive into a folder on the C drive and was getting that "Destination Folder" permissions problem. Followed your directions and it copied no problems at all.

Cheers

TechG1rl, Nov 21, 2007
  20. bj33790

PowerJunkie

I have (HAD) this same problem!! I started by searching Google then a friend recommended "Unlocker" http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download

BAM! I was able to right click on the folder and delete it, easy as pie :)

PowerJunkie, Nov 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements