Windows Vista Forums

Printer Sharing

24th February 2007, 03:53 PM
I setup a 3 computer network for my mom and her fiance. i setup printer sharing so they could print to one printer. 2 puters were xp and the third vista home premium. i got it all setup on the xp boxes and it works great. when i went to add the shared printer to the vista box, it starts to connect, then it says 'access denied'. in add new printer it can find and seethe shared printer ex: \\desktop\epsonwhen it searches. windows firewall is enabled and i added file and print sharing to the exception list. i went to networking, file and print sharing are enabled.network discovery is on. Any ideas??

24th February 2007, 08:20 PM
Is the xp machine which the printer resides on have a user account on it w/ a password? Generally you will need to create an account with a password on the xp machine in order for it to be shared. Then instead of getting the access denied message you will get a prompt for a username and password on the vista machine.

18th March 2007, 03:57 PM
I finally figured it out.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...5&PageID=2

<SPAN> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">This isa great workaround to your problem...</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Connecting to a Shared Printer on Windows XP via Windows Vista</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Problem</SPAN></U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">:</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Your Windows Vista PC cannot connect and print to a “shared” printer, which is directly attached to a Windows XP PC, via your network. </SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Solution</SPAN></U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">:</SPAN>
  1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.</SPAN> <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC.<SPAN> </SPAN>If this was successful, skip right to step 3.</SPAN>
    1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; tab-stops: list 1.0in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">If step 2 is not successful</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">…</SPAN></LI>
    </LI>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 1.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -1.5in; tab-stops: list 1.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"><SPAN><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN>i.<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Download the Windows Vista printer driver for your printer from the manufacturer’s website.</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 2in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; tab-stops: list 2.0in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"><SPAN>1.<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">If your printer’s manufacturer has not created a Vista driver yet, retry step 2.</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 1.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -1.5in; tab-stops: list 1.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"><SPAN><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbs