Windows Vista Forums

PLEASE HELP: Had XP(worked great). Now Vista can't even see my router!

22nd July 2007, 10:27 AM
Hi folks. First off let me say I really _DO_ want to make this Vista system work. My scenario is that I have a wired network at home where I have an XP laptop and my wife used to have an XP desktop. Her system died so I replaced it with a new Vista (home premium) system yesterday.

Our network involves a cable modem connected to the internet, and a Linksys broadband router(WRT54G) connected to the modem. The PCs connect to the router via ethernet cable.

I can't get the new Vista system to "see" the router, let alone get to the internet. I've turned off Windows Firewall and even tried disabling ipv6, but I still can't run "ping 192.168.1.1". I _can_ run "ping localhost" just fine btw.

To verify that the ethernet connection to the Vista machine is valid I brought my XP laptop into the room and connected it to that same cable. After just a "ipconfig /renew" I was able to ping the router, no problem.

So bottom-line is I'm in a world of hurt and could really use your guy's help.

Thanks in advance,

John

23rd July 2007, 08:03 AM
First things first try:

http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic4915-45-1.aspx