Windows Vista Forums

NIC will not connect, serious problem

5th August 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a serious problem with the NIC on my laptop that I hope someone here can help me with. I had a dual boot of Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Vista 5384.4.060518-1455.

Today I removed both operating systems from my HD and installed a fresh copy of XP Pro SP2.

The problem is that since I have done this my NIC (Marvel Yukon Gigabit) reports that the media is not connected. This does not appear to be a driver issue in Windows as the PXE net boot client does not recieve DHCP on the network and when I boot Linux live CDs I also get no connection from the NIC.

I have seen this before when I installed Xandros Linux. It put the card into a mode that acted the same way. But the fix for this was to install Windows again. This does not work now.

Does anyone know if Vista has done this? Or failing that, anythiing about switching states in a Marvel Yukon NIC?

Thanks,

Stuart

16th August 2006, 08:33 PM
You can try removing the hardware from add/remove in the control panel. And then allowing windows to add it back again. And see if it prompts you for drivers, at which point you would want to download the latest and point it to that location.

If all else fails and its a desktop you can try swamping in another nic and seeing if it does the same thing.

I've had NIC's fail on me all the time, sometime they just crap out. Sounds like that may be your problem.