Windows Vista Forums

My recovery disk (D) is almost full. How to fix?

8th February 2012, 04:10 PM
I just got a message that my recovery disk is almost full. It's 14.6 GBs and it's at 169 MBs.

I have no idea how to fix this.

Super Moderator

8th February 2012, 06:35 PM
If by your "recovery disk", you mean the Recovery partition on your drive, then you have a problem in that you're writing files into that partition -- and you should NOT be.

Open up Disk Management and look at the partitions on your drive (MS calls them "drives"). If you have one named Recovery and it is assigned a drive letter -- that should NOT be the case.

Somewhere along the line, either by default, or through your actions, some download destination got set to your Recovery partition -- and files started to get written there.

To "fix" this, open Windows Explorer and look at what is in your Recovery partition. IF you see files you downloaded, then move them to a different partition.

After you do that, you will have to go through all the apps you use to download stuff and check the default download directory -- and ensure it is NOT set to your Recovery partition.

8th February 2012, 10:51 PM
Hi and thanks for the response.

I did mean the Recovery Partition on my hard-drive (Recovery (D). It has a main folder called Boot, and a bunch of folders inside that with just letters, like cs-CZ, da-DK and each folder had just one file that ends in .mui, it also has another folder called Recovery and I can't access that because it's got like a padlock icon. and when I click on it I get a *Dell Recovery Partition
Warning!

This area of your hard drive
(or partition) contains files used
for Datasafe Recovery process.

Do not delete or alter these files.

Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later.*
As for my regular downloads, etc they all go to my documents, or to a specific folder in Program Files.

I don't download or save anything whatsoever in the Drive D.

Any other suggestions, please?

Super Moderator

9th February 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm concerned that your Dell is using the Recovery partition as if it were also the BOOT partition -- especially if you already have another BOOT partition on your drive.

If the Dell is treating Recovery as if it were the root partition for your OS, then it is also writing hibernation and cache files there as well -- and that could account for the partition getting full.

Even though you only saw two folder, you need to set Windows Explorer so it shows hidden directories and files. Then look in Recovery to see if there are other directories or files present. Also, look at the date/timestamp of the files and directories. They should all have dates and times coincing with when you first setup the Dell for your use.

9th February 2012, 11:52 PM
OK. All hidden files are now visible.

Here are the folders under drive d
Boot and under it are 24 more folders, each with a single file ending in .mui
Recovery (shows a padlock)

The only two files that show up now are etsfboot.com and memtest.exe

The date is 11/17/2010 under all the files in Boot folder and that's about the time I bought this laptop.

Super Moderator

10th February 2012, 02:42 PM
OK then. Looks like your Recovery partition is OK. It's nearly full because OEMs typically allocate just enough room to hold the recovery stuff. So, although the warning message is annoying, there's nothing you need to do.

If you want to get rid of the message, you can go into Disk Management and remove the drive letter assigned to the Recovery partition. HOWEVER, I have no idea how the Dell recovery process works, and the risk you run (if you do this) is that their process won't work anymore.

So, I would leave it alone.

You should probably check with Dell support and see what they advise. I don't want to put you into the situation that you can't Recovery your PC.

10th February 2012, 11:56 PM
The only thing is though, that something is being sent to that D Drive because when I bought the laptop, it was nowhere near being full.

I have no idea what it might be. Is it possible that whenever I run a backup it somehow sends a copy to the D drive? Something is filling up that drive.

Super Moderator

13th February 2012, 12:41 PM
As long as that partition is assigned a drive letter, it's going to be "mounted" when you boot and any app can then write to it.

As I said, I would check with Dell and see what they advise. Being a recovery partition, it should not be getting updated -- but who knows what Dell does with this?

13th February 2012, 10:35 PM
Ok thanks very much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator

14th February 2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry I couldn't help you more -- but I didn't want to risk you being unable to Restore your PC in the process.