Windows Vista Forums

Minimum reqs for Vista

6th January 2008, 07:08 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum but I have had Vista for a few months now...

To be completely honest I'm really not happy that I upgraded. Vista's UI is really really fun and flashy (A good thing) But I bought a brand new comp (I chose the parts, not some saturday afternoon deal) and it's just really slow and buggy.... About the buggy part, I understand... It's a new OS and I was rdy for the bugs and the compatibility problems so I'm not asking about that.. My question is, what's the real minimum of hardware in order for Vista to run smoothly... I like playing World of Warcraft and this computer is great but when I get into a capital I get an FPS of down to 0.7 which IMO is kind of pathetic for a new computer and if I have something running in the background which I usually do the screen just freezes from time to time for up to 20-30 seconds.

My config ATM is:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz

512X2 (Dual channel) 1 gig total DDRII, about the speed I'm not sure.

Nvidia Geforce 7200GT (the 512 DDRII version)

I'm using the Vista home premium (First time since 3.11 that I've had a legal OS^^).

Will it solve my problem to add a gig or 2 of memory or should I just down(/up?)grade back to XP?

Should I upgrade to Vista Ultimate? (I don't really know the difference)

Anyway, thx a lot for reading and I hope that someone knows a way to end my misery;-)

6th January 2008, 08:15 AM
2 Gigs of RAM is definately the sweet spot for performance and cost ratio. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade, but 1 gig should not cause the problems your describing. As for low frame rates, your graphics card is budget last gen, i.e. its the cheapest card nvidia did last generation. Performance from that card in games will be poor at best. I'd upgrade that if anything if you want to play games.

What not a bad thing to do when everything is going slow is to reinstall windows. Its a pain yes, but after you do it its like its brand new again. If problems stay you know you have a hardware issue.

Vista should normally run well on your set up, even with a poor graphics card and low end graphics card. Only games would be effected by them, vista should run perfectly smooth.

6th January 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi!

Thx for the quick response:-)

It's really weird about the graphic card.. I remember having it recommended by a few ppl and paying quite a lot for it^^

I shouldn't be drinking about spilled milk thou, so what do you think I should upgrade to? I'm pretty sure that I don't have the cash for it right now but it's good to know for the future...

About the RAM, I'll go look for a shop that sells 667mgz Dual channel DIMM DDII...

Thx a lot:-)