Windows Vista Forums

Making Only Administrators UAC Free

18th April 2007, 08:57 AM
Vista incorporates a feature called the User Account Control (UAC) to help ensure that users don't accidentally make unwanted changes to their system by prompting them for admin authorization. UAC is also useful in stopping malware from grabbing admin privileges without the user knowing it. However, if you are an Administrator on the PC, the UAC can become quite annoying during initial set up and configuration of the system. You can disable the User Account Control for Administrators on the computer while keeping the UAC enabled for standard users by following these steps:

1. Press the WinKey+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

2. Input secpol.msc.

3. Click OK.

4. When the UAC prompt appears, select Continue.

5. The Local Security Policy window will appear.

6. In the left pane, expand Local Policies.

7. Select Security Options.

8. In the right pane, scroll down to the bottom.

9. Double-click User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode.

10. Click the dropdown button and select Elevate without prompting.

11. Click OK.

12. Close the Local Security Policy window.

Tech-Recipes.com

18th April 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks so much for find. Now my life will be much easier. Although now i have an annoying popup telling me i should enable it.

24th April 2007, 12:09 PM
Oddly, I get "Windows Cannot Find secpol.msc" when attempting to run... ?

31st August 2007, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Quiksilver (4/24/2007)Oddly, I get "Windows Cannot Find secpol.msc" when attempting to run... ?

Me too

1st September 2007, 06:26 AM
Secpol only exists in Vista Ultimate for some reason however secpol.msc is just a GUI for registry settings. All settings for UAC can be found in this hive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System.

Should you feel like a fiddle.

Easy route I think is Admin tools (either in CP) or from start menu if you've put it there, get the tools tab clicked then scroll down until you see 'disable UAC'. Job done, well after a reboot anyway, you will notice you can, should you want, to renable it in there too and make other worthwhile adjustments.

OR just run 'msconfig' for the same GUI.

12th September 2007, 12:00 PM
Tried this a couple of days ago with Vista Ultimate and is one of the best tips i have used, i still have the security in place with less prompts, having said that UAC was less of anannoyanceon this PC as it was with the dell 4550 and Vista premium.

I got this link in a security letter from Microsoft trying to explain the long term impact of UAC and though it would add a better understanding

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec.../SecurityWatch